Argon... Worth the hoopla?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was considering the same, to argon or not to argon. As did you i came to the same conclusion.

I can add a layer of UG which i perfer to adding the argon bottle, its inflator and the added cost of fills. Factor in the Pre_purge bottle and i just perfer to add a layer of UG. Kiss.

Andy

Getting a thicker undergarments is definitely more cost effective and less hassle, IMO. That being said I invested in an argon setup. I have one 13 cuft bottle that I use for both prepurge and diving, and the way I use it it gets me thru about 5-6 dives. It stays tucked away next to my backplate and balances my bailout bottle on my opposite side. I find it makes a difference. The difference to me is whether my hands are going to start to chill after a 45 min dive in 55 deg water or not. A thicker undergarment is not without tradeoffs -- thicker UG means more air trapping means more lead to carry.

...Seventy-five minute exposure...
...DUI FLX 50/50...
...Polypro, Polarfleece AND Andy's Thinsulate...
...OMS 13 cubic foot argon bottle...
...Warm and toasty...
...It works for me!

I'm not as comfy when I skip using the argon to pre-purge my suit. I don't bother with the argon suit bottle on single tank dives... I just use the EAN32. But purging the suit with argon to start with definitely makes a difference.

Of course that is just my personal experience.

Cheap the way I do it too... just pump up and old steel 72 with argon and that last us quite awhile.

A necessity if using helium in your backgas, but otherwise a nice luxury that I have foregone until now. Currently in the process of getting an argon bottle and reg... *sigh*

I would never presume I can cut down on my UW and replace it with argon...that was an interesting twist this thread took.

O-Ring - concur. Makes sense with HE.

I was one of only two people on the trip today that took a 3rd dive - and I seemed OK. For my single tank froo-froo diving I'm OK.

If I go to the next place, maybe. I just found out one of my LDS has a Tek Club meeting. They had their first last Monday and 30 people came.

Thirty!

I was in there yesterday getting a fill (actually, leaning out my wife's 39 mix to about 32 for our deeper dives today) and they remembered "you're that backplate guy...you should come to the next Tek meeting...."

Another assimilation? Who knows.

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
I would never presume I can cut down on my UW and replace it with argon...that was an interesting twist this thread took.

O-Ring - concur. Makes sense with HE.

I was one of only two people on the trip today that took a 3rd dive - and I seemed OK. For my single tank froo-froo diving I'm OK.

If I go to the next place, maybe. I just found out one of my LDS has a Tek Club meeting. They had their first last Monday and 30 people came.

Thirty!

I was in there yesterday getting a fill (actually, leaning out my wife's 39 mix to about 32 for our deeper dives today) and they remembered "you're that backplate guy...you should come to the next Tek meeting...."

Another assimilation? Who knows.

K
...but my "argon" bottle will actually just be filled with air.

Unless they're pulling a Nathan Detroit and floating their meeting from LDS to LDS. This was the first time this group had met at my LDS.

It could be them....I don't know of the group/gang/herd/quorum had a "name". I should probably find out if this is a legit, organized group, a junta or just a bunch of t(r)ekkies.

K

Back
Top Bottom