Question Boot buying advice, please / how much do boots stretch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jowe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello there!

I'm at the 'PADI online learning' and 'buy the minimum stuff to hop in the water' point in my dive journey.

As all diving boots seem to be "unisex" aka sized for guys and in whole sizes, my 9.5 in women's shoes translates to 9 in diving boots. So a little large in the foot but still snug, at best, on the calf.

I'm in Monterey, CA, so quite a bit of sand beach entry coming up and boats at some point. Oh and quite chilly ~50F/10C :)

Cressi Isla (bit too big and no velcro tab to hold up zip) and Aqua Lung Superzip 7mm (sized like a Womens 9 not Mens 9 = longest toe uncomfortable, 10 too big) were fails so I'm looking at:

- XS Scuba 8 mm Thug Boots - hard sole - has tread grooves but kind of smooth)
A little too wide in the foot, a tad long and a bit uncomfortable/tight on the calf.

- Bare 7mm S-Flex Boot - rubber sole - seems grippy
Closer width fit and a tad long in the foot but less uncomfortable/tight on the calf.

Both fit fine in my Oceanic Viper 2 OH fins

I'm trying both of these on dry, of course.

I've read that hard soles are recommended for beach entry (even sand?) in which case XS Scuba seem better, but gear should be as close fitting as possible without cutting circulation, and they are a bit loose in the foot.

Also read that boots might stretch if:
a) wet
b) if soaked in hot water and worn, or a bottle filled with hot water and shoved in there.
c) over time

So any of the above might make the calf-fit more comfortable, but bad news if just time and cold water made the foot any looser.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and experience with cold water boots please (and **cannot wait** to be posting about something other than footwear!)

P.S. Please forgive me if I missed an exisiting post on this, I have searched and read quite a bit here before joining).

Check out the fourth element amphibian boots those are my go to's.
Also I'm a half size as well and round up, then wear dive socks to reduce wear and rubbing.

Congrats on your "about to begin" diving journey!!! I also was certified in Monterey (only it was 50 years ago). Gotta love Monterey!!!

For warmth you'll want a nice very snug fit so that water is "trapped" and kept at temp by body heat rather than continually exchanging for cold water. Couple of things to also consider....

I personally feel that when diving "wet" I preferred to have my wetsuit "legs" worn over the outside of my booties. Ankle zippers make this easier.. Other prefer the boots on the outside... Either way something to consider when buying..

I totally agree on the hardsole boots.....more robust and stable and you'll need-em when you eventually go to Bonaire......which I'm betting you will!!

You also might want to try some super thin lycra or nylon socks as they will let the booties slip on so much easier and also help to prevent chafing on your toes from kicking.

Regarding your main question, I have never noticed either boots or wetsuits stretching......but as I got older I noticed that they can tend to shrink!!!

Best of luck... Have a blast...... and welcome to the part of the ocean that most folks never get to see...

Also agree with purchasing ‘socks’. Each manufacturer sizes a bit different (from my experience). I recommend reading reviews to narrow your choices. May want to check out Mares. Good luck!

Go over to Aquarius on Del Monte and try some on, the ones the fit are the ones that fit.

if you like diving in Monterey you’ll likely end up in a dry suit and everything will change.

Congrats on your "about to begin" diving journey!!! I also was certified in Monterey (only it was 50 years ago). Gotta love Monterey!!!

For warmth you'll want a nice very snug fit so that water is "trapped" and kept at temp by body heat rather than continually exchanging for cold water. Couple of things to also consider....

I personally feel that when diving "wet" I preferred to have my wetsuit "legs" worn over the outside of my booties. Ankle zippers make this easier.. Other prefer the boots on the outside... Either way something to consider when buying..

I totally agree on the hardsole boots.....more robust and stable and you'll need-em when you eventually go to Bonaire......which I'm betting you will!!

You also might want to try some super thin lycra or nylon socks as they will let the booties slip on so much easier and also help to prevent chafing on your toes from kicking.

Regarding your main question, I have never noticed either boots or wetsuits stretching......but as I got older I noticed that they can tend to shrink!!!

Best of luck... Have a blast...... and welcome to the part of the ocean that most folks never get to see...
Thank you - both for the great tips and warm welcome! Bonaire on bucket list - check!

You must have been one of the little kids going through the Underwater Explorer program at the Aquarium :) It is a lovely place, been here almost 6 years now - time vanishes.... unlike my waistline, so I hear you!

Go over to Aquarius on Del Monte and try some on, the ones the fit are the ones that fit.

if you like diving in Monterey you’ll likely end up in a dry suit and everything will change.
I'm certifying through them! Will join their dive club. I didn't have the most perfect experience buying a mask there and having learned my lesson and done my own research, I will know better when advice is good or not. With that and the kind help on this thread, I'll go try on boots as you suggest. Very good point on the dry suit...

Also agree with purchasing ‘socks’. Each manufacturer sizes a bit different (from my experience). I recommend reading reviews to narrow your choices. May want to check out Mares. Good luck!
Thanks! Socks are now on the list. I love my Mares semi-dry snorkel. Hopefully their boots are more forgiving on the calves :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom