Arkansas SpearFishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuck41

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Arkansas Spearfishing Season starting on the 15th!!! I'm getting ready for Lake Ouachita, as soon as my gear gets back from where it was lost in Honduras by the airlines. Anybody else excited about a new season in Arkansas?

chuck41:
Arkansas Spearfishing Season starting on the 15th!!! I'm getting ready for Lake Ouachita, as soon as my gear gets back from where it was lost in Honduras by the airlines. Anybody else excited about a new season in Arkansas?

Several of the folks I dive with out of the LDS in Monroe, LA have a pontoon boat and make quite a few trips each season. They shoot a lot of catfish and bass. I shoot pictures but I'm ready to try something a little different.

Jim Baldwin:
Several of the folks I dive with out of the LDS in Monroe, LA have a pontoon boat and make quite a few trips each season. They shoot a lot of catfish and bass. I shoot pictures but I'm ready to try something a little different.

I live 7 miles from the dock at Brady Mountain and it takes 20 minutes to hook up boat, drive to lake, and launch the barge. I plan to be in or on it most of the summer. I am originally from Monroe and some of family is still there. In fact I just visited there Tue/Wed of this week and bought a couple of tires at the Wal-Mart on Louisville Ave after one of mine "auto-deflated". Was very dissapointed that I didn't get a chance to get crawfish while I was there.

You actually have a season for spearing. What can you shoot and where do you go. It may be interresting to make a freshwater trip. Hows the water and viz??

The water in Lake Ouachita is pretty good for a fresh water lake. Generally in the summer the water is 80F+ down to 20-25', which is where you hit the thermocline. After that is water seems to be 55F or lower. I've only been to 70' in Lake Ouachita, so I can't really comment on depts below that (70' is way deeper than most people want to go anyways).

I would put viz somewhere in the range of 10-20', depending on the weather and boat traffic in the area.

I have never been spearfishing before, but if anybody needs a buddy for Lake Ouachita diving, let me know.

Steven B
plexicessor at hotmail

Jim Baldwin:

I've done some hunting in Lake Norefork. It's been a couple of years but last I kne ir was Illegal to shoot bass. Catfish walleyes and about anything else is ok but no bass. By "bass" I'm refering to lagemouth, smallmouth and kentuckys. You can shoot white bas, stripers and hybreds. I suppose that law could have changed but make sure you know the game laws before you go.

Here in the Great Lakes states we can only shoot rough fish (carp and stuff) so I don't bother.

MikeFerrara:
I've done some hunting in Lake Norefork. It's been a couple of years but last I kne ir was Illegal to shoot bass. Catfish walleyes and about anything else is ok but no bass. By "bass" I'm refering to lagemouth, smallmouth and kentuckys. You can shoot white bas, stripers and hybreds. I suppose that law could have changed but make sure you know the game laws before you go.

Here in the Great Lakes states we can only shoot rough fish (carp and stuff) so I don't bother.

Arkansas is the only state that I am aware of here in the South that allows the taking of game fish; largemouth, smallmouth and kentucky's but it is just during a special season. There is a slot limit and you're not suppose to shoot anything in the slot size. Catfish and rough fish can be shot the year round.

I am ready. I just got a new deck boat to try out too. I have to go to school for 3 weeks but when I return LOOKOUT CATFISH!!!

Back
Top Bottom