Army Diving Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmadiver:
Don't be turned off by the military bashers around. My father retired after 22 years in the Navy and had an very rewarding carrer. So much that I am now a Navy Midshipman and will be getting commisioned in April. I'm in ROTC and was selected for spec.ops. which means I'm heading to Navy dive school once I graduate.

My advice, get your degree. Go to an Academy or ROTC and get it for free. I will graduate completely debt free. Then I get the best dive training in the world for free and its all transferable to the commercial world. Don't go Army, go Navy/Coast Guard/NOAA if you want to dive. If you want to lead be an Officer, if not enlist.

I'm living the dream.

Certainly didn't mean to bash the military. I am proud to be military and glad to still be able to serve. My point was 1. enlisted ain't necessarily all it's cracked up to be particularly if you have the ability to go to college, and 2. if you do enlist at least get your degree first so you have options to better your position. As someone who has experienced both ends, I can testify that it is nice to have options cuz things don't always work out the way you plan.

As for Navy over Army, gotta stick up for my service here (lord knows they kick the crap out of us in football anyway). Whether or not you dive is in your MOS, not your service. An army diver will dive as much as a navy diver, there are just fewer of them. Pick the service that seems right for you. (Besides, ask our navy boys what "hot-racking" means :wink: ).

The point I think most of us are trying to make is that the military can be very rewarding, but that you should go to college first, or at least to a military academy. I've seen it many times over with buddies in my platoon, it's very diffcult to go back to school after 3-4 years in the ranks, particularly if you get stop-lossed. College can be the best time of your life, the enlisted ranks probably won't be. Go while you're young and can still relate to the people in your classes.

Oh yeah, and don't trust recruiters. Ever. They lie. Get everything in writing and don't sign anything that isn't exactly what you want.

A

AaronR103:
I was treated like any new guy they don't trust or respect. Plus, my work was not exactly stimulating (it ain't all like you see in Black Hawk Down) and I was subject to NCOs who frankly had the IQ of a retarded tree-sloth, and a chip on their shoulder because I had more education than they did.
A

And i'm sure that some NCO's and enlisted feel the same way about a cherry 2LT just out of school that thinks he knows everything.:D

colt:
And i'm sure that some NCO's and enlisted feel the same way about a cherry 2LT just out of school that thinks he knows everything.:D

Oh they do (I did as an NCO), particularly the ones from military academies. The difference is that the 2LT doesn't have to put up with the hazing BS from either the other officers or certainly the enlisted guys that the private does. Officers don't usually participate in smokings.

And trust me, if you had met the "treesloth" you'd agree with the moniker. I'll revise my earlier comment to add that I knew several great NCOs that I actually respect more than most of the ring-knocking officers in my company. My statement was certainly not meant to include all NCOs and enlisted, but to point out that you can't control who has control over you. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. This guy just happened to be my squad-leader and pissed off at anyone with a higher ASVAB score than his. He was in fact so dumb that our 1SG had him sent to work up at the battalion to be rid of him, and they sent him back 2 days later...

A (former E5, now a cherry 2LT still in school)

Another comment about Navy diving,

In the seagoing services, we call the jobs "rates" rather than "MOS's." There isn't a Diver rating. You enlist, go to boot camp, go to "A" school where you are taught the basics of your rating, and then are put on some ship somewhere as a lowly apprentice in order to start your career. The Navy diver I met is a Hull Technician or something. To be a diver you have to apply and be selected for the diving school, which is of course competitive. If you are selected and complete diving school, you will then be working "out-of-rate," which means you won't be doing your trained job, but diving instead. Generally, working out-of-rate means that you won't be able to learn your "real" job very well, so the opportunities for advancement are slim. The divers I was in contact with did it because they love diving. They're flown all over the world on short notice to do important, exciting, dangerous work. It's worth noting that the SEALS were created by Navy Divers.

If a recruiter says "Sure, sure, sign right here and you'll be in diving school next month," kick him in the head.

Here's the webpage for Coast Guard diving:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-o/CGDiving/Home.htm

~Isaac

Mudhiker:
Another comment about Navy diving,

In the seagoing services, we call the jobs "rates" rather than "MOS's." There isn't a Diver rating. You enlist, go to boot camp, go to "A" school where you are taught the basics of your rating, and then are put on some ship somewhere as a lowly apprentice in order to start your career. The Navy diver I met is a Hull Technician or something. To be a diver you have to apply and be selected for the diving school, which is of course competitive. If you are selected and complete diving school, you will then be working "out-of-rate," which means you won't be doing your trained job, but diving instead. Generally, working out-of-rate means that you won't be able to learn your "real" job very well, so the opportunities for advancement are slim. The divers I was in contact with did it because they love diving. They're flown all over the world on short notice to do important, exciting, dangerous work. It's worth noting that the SEALS were created by Navy Divers.

If a recruiter says "Sure, sure, sign right here and you'll be in diving school next month," kick him in the head.

Here's the webpage for Coast Guard diving:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-o/CGDiving/Home.htm

~Isaac

With the Army Diver MOS you WOULD dive, but I'd be willing to bet that the slots are very few and far between. You may get lucky and find one open, but then again you may not. The spec-ops route is a gamble, and you definately don't want to try it straight out of HS. If a recruiter tels you they don't have a slot right now but sign here for this MOS and we'll give you Diver when it comes up, again, kick him in the head.

A

Let me correct on what some of you have been talking about.

Infact there are no more "Navy Divers" that mission has been taken over by EOD (Exlposive ordinace disposal). EOD is more and more being refered to as Special Operations because its mission has gone way beyond what they were originally created for. EOD IS NOW A RATE IN THE NAVY. All EOD personel (officers and enlisted) go to dive school.
So if you want to be a Navy Diver, you have to be EOD. After dive school you will go to your explosives/weapons, jump school, and various other non-diving related training commands to get trained up as an EOD operator. EOD has the third highest sea time in the Navy after SEALs and Nuclear guys.

Bottom line: If you want to dive in the Navy you will be at sea alot and you will do alot more than just diving.

Of note I'm still a Midshipman but am on my way to dive school to begin EOD training. This information reflects the knowledge I have been able to aquire about the program. Most of my knowledge is for the officer side and may not be accurate for enlisted EOD techs.

mmadiver:
Don't be turned off by the military bashers around. My father retired after 22 years in the Navy and had an very rewarding carrer. So much that I am now a Navy Midshipman and will be getting commisioned in April. I'm in ROTC and was selected for spec.ops. which means I'm heading to Navy dive school once I graduate.

My advice, get your degree. Go to an Academy or ROTC and get it for free. I will graduate completely debt free. Then I get the best dive training in the world for free and its all transferable to the commercial world. Don't go Army, go Navy/Coast Guard/NOAA if you want to dive. If you want to lead be an Officer, if not enlist.

I'm living the dream.

I'm fascinated by your avatar...you seem to have a couple of rows of salad on your chest and you are just get commissioned...I take it you're a mustang??

Ha no, they are just Midshipmen ribbons. They mean absolutly nothing in the real military. We get them for things like drill team and outstanding physical fitness. As with everything in the Midshipmen world we get them so we learn how to properly use and wear them and its something that our inspecting officers can use to yell at us for during inspections.

When I get commisioned they all go away....bummer I worked hard for that community service ribbon...

mmadiver:
Ha no, they are just Midshipmen ribbons. They mean absolutly nothing in the real military. We get them for things like drill team and outstanding physical fitness. As with everything in the Midshipmen world we get them so we learn how to properly use and wear them and its something that our inspecting officers can use to yell at us for during inspections.

When I get commisioned they all go away....bummer I worked hard for that community service ribbon...

Well if you were an old fart, like me, you could have received your "Alive in 65" ribbon...:D

With the cold war gone...what's the fast track to Admiral now???
In my day is was NUPOCS...:D
I still remember the recruiter's remark..."You too can visit beautiful Idaho"...:D

By the way...completely off the track...:D ...You ever get a chance to read any of Adm Gallery's stuff??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom