Arrogance and humility among divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've enjoyed almost everything about diving since I started. I liked the classes, the novelty and newness of it all, and find an enduring enjoyment and sense of wonder in the underwater experience. There have been minor setbacks -- mistakes, dives that weren't fun, gear that didn't work out, times I felt I'd been ripped off -- but nothing serious or enduring.

Except the arrogance.

It was worst when I was considering diving and had just started. I ran into it at one of the LDSs, where the employee was not taking seriously my questions about gear since I had not completed my certification. I've run into it on boats and other groups of divers. So many divers want to talk about how deep they've dived, how little air they use, and other things that they perceive as accomplishments. Dealing with people in the dive industry, I've encountered egos so large they are incapable of entertaining the idea that, perhaps, they may have made a mistake at some point. I encounter technical divers, cave divers, and rebreather divers who seem to think that people curious about their specialty should be seen not heard.

I've always aspired to the sort of quiet competence demonstrated by airmen like Chesley Sullenberger, who was initially dismissive of his personal role in the safety of all on board when he was at the controls of the flight that had to ditch in the Hudson River.

What is it about the diving culture that leads to this sort of hubris?

2air- Very well put! The only thing I could add is I try my best at different dive locations when folks walk up is to take the extra few minutes and discuss diving with them. Most will never try but you just never know. By being treated the way you described years ago has taught me to know what it's like and never walk that path. I guess I know what I've done, where I've been and what my abilities are so why not share. To those you described I can only have sympathy for them.

2airishuman,
That's a good question. I dwelled over that very same question for some time, but later concluded it was best to enjoy diving with my best buddy, meeting great people that practice this wonderful sport/activity with the intent of having a wholesome experience, freely and openly sharing knowledge and experiences with nothing to prove or brag about. Treating everyone with respect, listening and learning.

This works for me. On the flip side... I actively avoid any type of interaction with arrogant divers, arrogant operators or in general, any type of arrogant individual(s) as based on past experience, they tend to successfully ruin the day, the trip, the class or what otherwise could have been a great dive experience.

Fortunately, there are more great people out there than those that hold arrogance as a credential for success.

Ricardo

I feel fortunate not to have encountered much arrogance. Some, but not much. Either it's not as prevalent as you make it sound, or I'm oblivious, or both. I think I tend to tune out people who start talking at me about themselves, whether it's about their diving or anything else.

Also, is it arrogance, ego, testosterone, or what? I don't know. And is it "the diving culture" as you put it, or is this sort of thing common in other sporting endeavors?

It seems to me that there are a tremendous number of divers who you'd never know are divers. They do not exhibit the behavior you describe. Then there those of us who are instructors, captains, and on chat boards....

I would say that the vast majority of divers I have personally met have been really nice people who want to share their experiences and knowledge with you to help you progress in the sport for your benefit. But I have met a couple of complete knobbers who think that they are God's gift to black and shiny. Luckily they seem rare.

Here's a few musings,

Anywhere people invest time and money into something there's a risk of arrogance. Self validation, insecurity or just plain egoism.

I've been on the fringe of many activities that attract 'alpha types' and unfortunately there's always a few unpleasant individuals in every hobby. I've known some very snobby coin collectors even.

My vote is with the quiet competent one's who enjoy their diving without fanfare. And hope I am consistent to the type myself, particularly when doing excessive talking online.

Thankfully they are the slight minority among divers it seems. For that matter, far less than my day to day life. Perhaps the water helps mellow some.

Nice reflective thread.
Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom