Article: High Dynamic Range Plug in for GoPro Cams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is very impressive but I have a quick question. Why does this only work with images from POV cameras? Won't it apply to video images from other types of cameras?

Good question, they market it for the GoPro and other POV cams but it will also work for footage from your typical camcorder or DSLR just like their Fisheye Fixer for GoPro also worked on an image shot with a 10-17mm lens on a Canon 7D. I believe they target POV cams like the GoPro because it is their footage that needs the help the most. In fact, the shots in the article of the jelly fish and the school of fish on the bow are from a standard HDV camcorder. The other shots were from footage shot with a GoPro.
Steve

Interesting...but no Protune for me...latest firmware (with Protune) doesn't work with 3D system.

You're just applying sharpening and more contrast (compressing the histogram) which will make video/photos pop. Certainly a good practice often, but nothing specific to PoV or GoPros.

Good advice for many people nonetheless but you could improve your article by offering up some specifics on editing for PoV or retitling it.

Seems like the problem with those shots is mostly back-focus (but yes, the sharpening etc. make the shots pop (too much?) as bibblue_hi mentions). For instance, the legs of the turtle and not the face, the fish in the background instead of the foreground, and not sure but the railing of the ship is better focused than the jelly fish?

I was going to say what "bigblue_hi" said. It just looks like a sharpening filter, which is available in most editing software and the degree it is applied here is a bit too much. If the firmware update does indeed increase the data rate to 35mbps, that is more useful than a sharpening tool.

Back
Top Bottom