Article: Is the Dive Watch Dead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a "watch guy" and when I recently started diving I thought of it as an excuse to get more watches. I dive with a Seiko diver automatic. Tough, reliable and inexpensive enough to not worry about it, $150-250 new. I'm wearing my SKX-007 as I type this at work.
I wear this or another Seiko on dives as a second time source. I also carry a back up depth gauge clipped off so I can finish my dive plan if the computer goes haywire using it and my watch.

But they are fashion than requirement anymore, that for sure

I have a Casio watch that can go down to 200m. I like it because I do not need to take it off while diving. But I am using a dive computor while diving. I can hardly see my watch under water without eye glasses.

I have a Citizen Pro Diver 300M and do wear it diving. Except with the drysuit. I have the extension band but I'm not sure I trust it. I have worn an analog watch since 1st grade and feel naked without one. I have left work at lunch to go replace one of the cheap watches I wear there when one crapped out. I get about 5 years out of a watch at work. Crystal gets scratched up, garnet from the waterjet makes its way into the expandable band, etc. So usually I buy a water resistant 20-30 dollar watch.

Had I been selected in 2013 when I was nominated for the DAN Rolex Award you can bet your hind end I'd wear that watch!

I am a watch guy in general, One whole shelf of my gun safe is devoted to watches. The one I wear to work everyday? Casio G-shock. They last and nobody tries to steal them. I never saw a need for a watch under water with a Petrel strapped on each wrist.

I dont dive with a Rolex...but I do wear a Tag Heur that I have had for 12 years. I use a computer as well, but can never go wrong with a backup.

When I do Deco dives, I often take my G-shock off the wrist and strap it on the console and set the stop watch function for elapsed time. It is very useful to me, because on many dives, I do not need to really look at the pressure gauge or the computer often at all... Precise depth, air pressure or deco status is not that critical when I know that as the elapsed time reaches "X" - I need to be on my way or or very close to leaving.

I can safely get out of dodge with a failure of my computer and pressure gauge - as long as I have a watch and a working knowledge of my expected ascent profile - and a stop watch.

When you are narced..and doing a "known" dive... it takes much less mental bandwidth to just know that you are gonna leave the bottom with X psi and when time equals Y minutes..Whichever comes first.

I always wear a watch when I dive even though I use a Hollis DG02 wrist computer and have a mechanical depth gauge on my SPG. However, you don't have to have an expensive Rolex or Seiko or even analog watch. My 5 year old Casio G-shock is pretty indestructable, rated to 200 meters, only costs $46.99 at Target and has been on all of my 118 dives and countless hours snorkeling, swimming and kayaking without a problem at all.

I have a computer, but I still dive with a titanium Omega Seamaster. It is a tough watch, accurate to within a fraction of a second per day, and very resistant to scratches or damage due to high quality materials. It is not just a back up, but also serves as a separate timer, for instance for navigation. It goes on right over my wetsuit. Once on, I don't think any more or less about it than the rest of my equipment. It is insured against loss. Ultimately, it is intended for my son, and maybe his grandson.

When he inherits the watch and asks if I dove with it, I won't have to say "No son, I just wore it to garden parties and barbecues."

I now wear my Citizen Aqualand to back up my dive computer. Other than when I dive, I don't wear a watch anymore. Damn smartphones!

Luxury dive watches are dead and have been dead for some time in so as far as being function pieces of dive gear, I am an avid watch collector and own every watch I will discuss, some of these watches I don't even like but I bought the right:

1) Rolex Submariner, it really is a great watch and my fingers are bleeding as I type this, you buy Rolex's to let everyone know you have money or your parents were WASP's and you graduated high school. The Rolex SEA DWELLER ia an abortion any true watch collector will tell you this.

2) Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore: You have taste and style and between 15-30K to spend for steel watches. These watches are amazing, the engineering is breathtaking and your wallet better be as impressive. They are getting a little to popular.

3) Blankpain: Understand, bulletproof, classic hand made watches starting at about 15K for steel.

4) IWC: A lot of watch for the money, day, date chrono's starting at around 8K

5) Breitling: Very popular well made watches from 4K

6) BALL Watches: The best value in luxury functional watches from 2500USD

7) Ulysee Nardin: From 7 to 35K for steel or titanium.......If you control a drug cartel of are some shady Russian oil criminal you know because you already have one.

Cheers,

JonT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom