Article: Kudos to Bob Bailey - NWGratefulDiver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kudos Bob! I would recommend that the names and photos of those leaches be posted to all dive shops and site operators so that they never have a chance to get away with such barbarism again.

I suspect the term is present time consciousness; being aware of the manners and morals of the present time.

Long before all you moral modern late model tube sucking bubble blowers entered the underwater world that area the Pacific Northwest held "Octopus rodeos" or "Octopus wrestling contest" for a number of years, beginning the the early 1950s and reaching it's peak in the mid 1960s.

The object was to dive down using the new very crude and some what dangerous recently introduced bubble machine find the biggest octopus and horse him to the surface. The slimy Octopus was weigh measured and trophies were awarded for weight and the largest span.

Those events were held a long time ago- the world has changed as has diving manners and morals and certainly the participants of the sport. No longer do the participants dive with homemade equipment, without instrumentation & floatation, or even allow their bodies to get wet or become cold, and what a diaster if a drop of water enters the mask!

So what are we going to do about it? once again I suspect that the majority will be indignant and write a post.

I am also indigant but of a different era with modern manners and morals.

I wrote an letter this day to Honorable Christine Gregorie, Governor of Washington, expressing my concern about the harvesting of what remains of the once pleniful very large Washinton octopus by commerican and sport divers.
How about you? Remain indigant and post and indigant post or change the law by writing a letter to the governor?
(and signing a petition?)

SDM

Bob's the best! Always standing up for what's right! Nice job, Kudos well deserved!

Thanks Bob.

No-take areas are a mainstay of modern resource management, as is protection for egg bearing, tending, brooding, etc., individuals. I hope the hearing results in a change in the rules.

Well done Bob - P

So where do i sign up for the petition to stop the harassing and threatening of this
diver who never broke the law but is being unlawfully persecuted?
I'm all for preserving the environment, making protected areas etc, but they can't be put ahead of human life, and if the users here are so fanatical they'll threaten human life for political gain, what kind of world are they trying to preserve?
You know,i think the speed limit in your neighborhood should be lower, so I'm going to phone and harass and threaten you, even though you obey the present speed limit! bunch of idiots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom