Article: The Number One Rule In Scuba Diving: No Touching!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@PunkabillyTurk , I recognize that you are on the other side of the world from me and are sleeping now. When you get up and back on I hope you will recognize that some of our comments are easily perceived differently from how they are intended. Tone is difficult on the internet. As you dive more you will come to new understandings related to diving ethically and safely.

You may find yourself witnessing diving practices that you have been taught will lead to unacceptable risks and yet the person you see doing it may have done it literally thousands of times. You may see a diver doing things that seem destructive and judge them in your mind but later see a sea turtle literally tearing the coral apart. The next year you revisit the site after a hurricane and the reef that seemed so fragile has been wiped out.

You may come to accept that some of what divers do is a part of nature. Divers become part of the ecosystem and part of the culture of the environment. It is hard to make judgements because one diver kills a lion fish. (good?) An eel chases the diver with the lion fish because they have been fed or because they smell the food. (bad?) It is really hard to judge those with many years of experience that may have started diving in a different time and have watched their underwater world change from many impacts more destructive than anything that they will ever do. I want to minimize my impact but I have made mistakes.(sad?)

In Cozumel there are many thousands of divers each week and parts of the reef show the signs of this but the presence of these divers and their money sustains the marine park and the dive masters that might otherwise be fishermen.

What I'm trying to say with far too many words is that it is complicated and you and I are too new and inexperienced to be able to decide for ourselves much less others what is right or wrong. We can only act on our best instincts and our moral compass in choosing how to dive. I sometimes write things just to get my thoughts out but it might be too early to publish them for public consumption. I have written things and then read them years later and thought, who the hell wrote this and discovered it was me. Don't worry about this thread. People needed something to express themselves about and you gave it to them. Dive lots. You are a lucky man.

I didn't read the article but I will nonetheless offer my opinion.

Many northeast USA Atlantic wrecks from WWII and earlier are melting before our eyes, from corrosion. They will become melting debris piles in not very many years. There are not enough funded underwater archaeology people on the planet to preserve even the reasonably historic wrecks among them. Who is surveying and/or preserving the U-853, or the Black Point, or even the not particularly historic Chester Poling? Right. Nobody. Anything anyone brings up from them and preserves is potentially part of a historical record that will otherwise be gone forever. This is in sharp contrast to truly historic wrecks that are systematically surveyed and raised or salvaged once found, like the Monitor.

On the other hand, deep freshwater wrecks can look today almost as they looked when they sank over a century ago. Disturbing those wrecks is literally a crime in many jurisdictions, and I have no problem with that at all. I'd like to see many of them, and not lose the opportunity to see what those who went before me have seen.

From a sea life standpoint, excluding hunting and invasive species I sometimes harass for the hell of it, like Lion Fish, my general rule of "if you leave them alone they will leave you alone" has served me really well thus far. Sometimes, to my significant advantage when I didn't know what I was dealing with (for example, North Atlantic Torpedo Rays are not exactly everywhere). I have to recommend it just on the principle of staying alive and unhurt. And of course, coral and other delicate organisms should be look-but-don't-touch.

Just my 2 PSI.

Tend to agree. I think the OP's idea is to point out the people who are jerks. The one who causes the blowfish to inflate to play ball with it. The photog who manipulates for a good shot. The one who Frisbees a starfish, and everyone's favourite, the DM/Group Leader who hitches a ride on the turtle to entertain the group.
Again, diver and animal populations matter. If thousands of divers do this each year on one particular reef it probably causes environmental problems and they are jerks. If 3 divers do this in a year in a remote locale, they are just jerks.

Yes, that was exactly my point!! Thank you for seeing that and for the feedback.

I do not go around abusing wildlife. I do not spearfish but have no problems with it. We should respect nature.

But from a logical point why is shooting a fish ok but playing with the end of an octupus's tentatcle so that he comes out for a photo not ok? I think that the dead fish is less happy with the results then the curious octopus who is unhurt.
Because the killing of the fish serves a purpose: food. The playing around with the octo is simply for personal gratification and the stress placed on the animal may result in its failure to survive.

I’ll give you an example. There’s this guy in Vancouver BC that was/is part of this program to introduce children to sea life. Divers go pick stuff up, show it to the kids who handle them, then the divers dump them back. I’ve hear complaints from someone that dives there regularly how a significant number of creatures wind up dying.

@PunkabillyTurk , I recognize that you are on the other side of the world from me and are sleeping now. When you get up and back on I hope you will recognize that some of our comments are easily perceived differently from how they are intended. Tone is difficult on the internet. As you dive more you will come to new understandings related to diving ethically and safely.

You may find yourself witnessing diving practices that you have been taught will lead to unacceptable risks and yet the person you see doing it may have done it literally thousands of times. You may see a diver doing things that seem destructive and judge them in your mind but later see a sea turtle literally tearing the coral apart. The next year you revisit the site after a hurricane and the reef that seemed so fragile has been wiped out.

You may come to accept that some of what divers do is a part of nature. Divers become part of the ecosystem and part of the culture of the environment. It is hard to make judgements because one diver kills a lion fish. (good?) An eel chases the diver with the lion fish because they have been fed or because they smell the food. (bad?) It is really hard to judge those with many years of experience that may have started diving in a different time and have watched their underwater world change from many impacts more destructive than anything that they will ever do. I want to minimize my impact but I have made mistakes.(sad?)

In Cozumel there are many thousands of divers each week and parts of the reef show the signs of this but the presence of these divers and their money sustains the marine park and the dive masters that might otherwise be fishermen.

What I'm trying to say with far too many words is that it is complicated and you and I are too new and inexperienced to be able to decide for ourselves much less others what is right or wrong. We can only act on our best instincts and our moral compass in choosing how to dive. I sometimes write things just to get my thoughts out but it might be too early to publish them for public consumption. I have written things and then read them years later and thought, who the hell wrote this and discovered it was me. Don't worry about this thread. People needed something to express themselves about and you gave it to them. Dive lots. You are a lucky man.

Ray,

Thank you for the feedback and constructive criticism. I suppose my thought when writing this was coming from the stance of conservation. Diver or not I want to defend our oceans and I do so in many ways. I have been involved in beach clean-ups, harbor clean-ups where we dove in to pick up trash and may other methods.

I will keep diving and keep writing and one day I hope to look back on this and see that both have evolved greatly.

By the way, you would be surprised by when I am awake. Hahaha

Because the killing of the fish serves a purpose: food. The playing around with the octo is simply for personal gratification and the stress placed on the animal may result in its failure to survive.

I’ll give you an example. There’s this guy in Vancouver BC that was/is part of this program to introduce children to sea life. Divers go pick stuff up, show it to the kids who handle them, then the divers dump them back. I’ve hear complaints from someone that dives there regularly how a significant number of creatures wind up dying.

I am aware of the affects of stress which is why I try to be careful with what I do and do not do. Earlier in my life I spent a lot of time surface fishing from shore and boats. I did not kill unless food (or bait). I caught and released a lot of (stressed) fish. But I will be honest. it was for my amusement and personal satisfaction. I had no need for additional protein or calories in my diet. I was not a subsistance fisherman. In fact, I would be better off with less food. :)

I hope that it isn't criticism, constructive or otherwise. I just wanted to offer another perspective and let you know that I care about you.

I hope that it isn't criticism, constructive or otherwise. I just wanted to offer another perspective and let you know that I care about you.
I think your comments were as damaging as a balloon thrown from 30 feet away. :wink:

I took at words to think about. I very much appreciate it and look forward to seeing you when you come out to this side of the world in a couple months.

@PunkabillyTurk - Happy to see you back on Scubaboard and posting. If I remember correctly, you got certified not too long ago and were living in Huntington Beach, CA. Didn't realize you made your way to the Middle East. Good for you and keep on diving and keep up that infectious and teachable attitude and cheers to you and your dreams.

Back
Top Bottom