Artifact Pictures From Virginia Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewski

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All:

As promised, I'm attaching some artifact pictures from the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area that may serve to "wet" your appetite.

The first set of pictures is "brass" from an older wood ship, possibly 18th or 19th century, that sits in 15 FSW. This wreck lies in a VERY high marine traffic area, is beach accessible and, unfortunately, is VERY contaminated. What I mean by "contaminated" is that another wreck, probably a 1960s era commercial fishing vessel, sits right on top of it. What may have happened is that the fishing boat hooked a trawl or cable on the older wreck, "pulled" it's own transom and quickly sank. One wreck literally lies on top of the other. If I'm "reading" the site correctly, the keel of the older vessel is substantial with more than 5 FT of vertical relief. Visibility at this location is low (averages < 5 FT), but I've seen 15 FT when the tide is right. The partial remains of the brass fasteners shown were probably used for hull planking or ribbing and indicate a larger vessel:

artifacts002qx2.jpg

artifacts003dx2.jpg

artifacts004ex3.jpg

artifacts006ee8.jpg

The other pictured artifacts come from the debris field of the Santore, a 1918 bulk cargo carrier sank by a mine on June 17, 1942, approximately 12 NM east of Virginia Beach. The mine was laid by the U-701, a German sub that in turn was sunk by the USN further south near Hatteras. The Santore was 449 FT long and grossed more than 7,000 tons, meaning it was a fairly large ship. Today, the wreck sits in 60 FSW and is often used as a "second" dive for returning charters. Because of the shallow depth, the wreck was wire dragged and blown apart by the USGC. Although artifacts aren't just "laying around" on this wreck, they CAN be found with a little digging in the right spots. The first pictures are of a cabin clock face, about 6" across. The second pictures are of a compass housing. Note the manufacturing markings in the detail picture:

artifacts010zu7.jpg

artifacts012yr7.jpg

artifacts015iz1.jpg

artifacts019ve2.jpg

artifacts022zf9.jpg

artifacts020di7.jpg

Hope ya'll enjoyed these! :D

Let's go diving!

Most excellent Drewski. I have not made it out to the Santore, very rarely do we move from 1 site to the next.

Cool stuff. Would you consider showing someone else where the wreck is? It sounds like an interesting wreck. The idea of a shallow wreck dive is attractive and limited visibility isn't a problem. Ok its not ideal, but it hasn't kept me out of the water before.

Oyster Diver:
Cool stuff. Would you consider showing someone else where the wreck is? It sounds like an interesting wreck. The idea of a shallow wreck dive is attractive and limited visibility isn't a problem. Ok its not ideal, but it hasn't kept me out of the water before.
Yes, I would, but with "agreement."

I've sat on this wreck site for quite a few years because it's protected, unlikely to be dived and even if someone got to it, I'd doubt they would know what they were looking at because of the second more recent vessel. It fooled me for the first three dives, then confused me for five more and then, on one "good" visibility day, AMAZED me. I know that it hadn't been touched previously, because the “brass” was all over the wood and it had more than 20 crap pots on it, some quite old. If the brass was still there and the watermen hadn't got somebody on it to retrieve their pots, it's "unknown."

Although I post pictures of artifacts and will freely admit I'm a "digger," I have limits. The reason I took what I did from this wreck is for dating. The pins appear to be bronze or brass (NOT iron), large diameter and hand forged which to me means "big hull" and "pre-industrial," i.e., 18th century or before. Now, I'm certainly an amateur and could be dead wrong about this. This wreck could also just be a real old barge and have no historical significance. On the other hand, it might be "something," and it's the "something" that worries me. Hampton Roads has one heck of a LOT of maritime history. Sometimes you just DON'T know what you can run into...

To this point, I haven't done any real research on the wreck. I'll make this my winter project. I'll post updates to the MABF section in a new thread. Let's see what I can "dig" up (LOL) and we'll go from there.

THEN, I'll take people on it.

It sounds like you've got a really interesting wreck there! Please do keep us posted on the project. One of the nice things about the area is the history that is literally everywhere. As my buddy says about our many low-vis dives, "it just makes things better because you never know what lies just ahead."

Drewski, I appreciate your desire to keep the wreck protected and only show people once you've figured out what you've found. I really like to collect artifacts, but I also dive with SHIP which is looking for wrecks in the Chesapeake. I consider any wreck we find or is shown to me to be completely off limits for anything but looking. The attraction is finding/exploring a site that isn't usually seen. I don't think there are many wrecks in the bay that have never been dove on before. All that said, anyone can say anything on the internet and we haven't met so skepticism on your part is expected. Maybe we could meet up for some charters this summer? I'm always looking to go diving. I hope you don't think I'm asking for to much, but I've learned that if you don't ask, you don't get.

Andrew

Drewski:
The pins appear to be bronze or brass (NOT iron), large diameter and hand forged which to me means "big hull" and "pre-industrial," i.e., 18th century or before. Now, I'm certainly an amateur and could be dead wrong about this.
Well, typical, I'm DEAD wrong!:sorry19z:

Dan Berg is saying it's late 1800s (late 19th century) based on the fastener design, meaning the historical significance is much less. On the bright side, it should be easier to identify. I'll be hooking up with some historical database sources in the next couple of weeks and I'll see what we have. If that doesn’t identify a "possible," I'll be visiting Mariner Museum in Newport News.

Anyway, we'll see what happens! :D

Back
Top Bottom