• I don't really care

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I'd dive it, but won't lift a finger to help

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I like the idea...how can I help?

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anybody have any input on what the procedure would be to approach the proper authorities about salvage rights to this vessel?

Who would one talk to?

I'm not referring to turning it into an artificial reef at this point, more referring to getting the rights of possesion to the vessel.

(so no MOE at this point):D

Isn't there some sort of "tire" dumping place further west of Niagra (maybe around port colbourne(sp?)) that is used like an artificial reef? I think I just read about it last night in a book, but it was late last night and after I got back from hockey so I'm not quite sure.... Are you talking about doing something like that or something on a larger scale with boats...
What about an artificial reef made up of old scapped cars???

From what I've seen & read, tires make bad reefs. They are tied together and sunk, and often fall apart, float away, etc. There is one place in the US where they are trying to see how much it will cost to remove them.

A much better option are the large concrete pyramid X shaped things they used to build the breakwater around the Hong Kong airport. Basically, you take an X, and then add a 3rd leg perpendicular to the plane formed by the other two. They lock together underwater, making a very stable reef with lots of surface area.

Hello

This is an old issue guys. Years ago the ministry of fisheries and Pier Trudeau's son Jason used a submarine to find a suitable location for sinking a wreck around Toronto harbor. The only area they concluded that was suitable and was not a fish spawning area was a sand bar region off of Oackville. As with all ideas for Toronto there were more "why we cants" than "why we could"s from elected officials and it was slowly forgotten. If you do not have the political backing your not going to get it. The war ship in Kingston was put on the back burner because the town ship of Kingston had to share moneys earned from the dive charters with parks Canada were the ship was to be sunk, so again politics blew it all to hell. The best bet I can see in getting a wreck around Toronto out side of the Harbor commissions and police marine units turf is for an actual freighter accident and sinking.

D M I

The town ship of Kingston and private idealist came up with the idea of sinking the war ship but the actual location for sinking was to be in parks canada's water, either way its history now.

D M I

A wreck around T.O. would be great, but there is not anyone in the area that could pull it off. The people that could do it, Dive stores(whats left) would want to make money from it. By the way DMI I think you are right about the warship in Kingston -NO MONEY MADE THEY DROPPED IT. If you want to dive around the GTA start looling for wrecks yourself.
deepdiver5by5

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom