Aruba, Cayman. Who to dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to be doing a Carib cruise in early December. Having just recently completed my OW, this will be my first diving experience in the ocean.

I've done a search through the boards, and found some information on Aruba and Grand Cayman (my two dive opps). I've sent a request for info to Dive Aruba, but I can't seem to get a website up on Native Divers.

Does anyone know of a good small outfit for a rookie's first time experience in Grand Cayman? And any other options in Aruba? I'm liking what I've heard about Dive Aruba, and I'm wondering if there's a Cayman equivalent. I also need some options in case DA doesn't work out.

I could do the Shore Excursions... but I hear that may not be the best option for a rookie. Any opinions on that?

Thanks! Y'all are the best for info.

I would go with Unique Sports of Aruba. They run a pretty good op. I will be diving with them in Feb.

I'm leaving for Grand Cayman in 10 days :) and I will be diving almost exclusively with Dive Tech. I've heard the North Wall is outstanding and less crowded than the east end. I'll send you a PM when I get back.

Duane

Great! Thanks for the word. I'm very curious about how your GC experience will be.

My first and foremost concern is to have a good trip. This will be my first ocean trip, and my first trip to the Carib, so where I dive isn't nearly as important to me as a fun, SAFE, and friendly diving environment.

I'm very interested in hearing any other opinions out there, and in hearing about anyone's experiences with private dive outfits.

I just don't want to dive a cattle car trip, and that seems to be what the cruise offers. Even the Royal Caribbean agent we signed up through made the rec to dive privately.

I did do a search prior to dropping the thread on here. That's how I found out about NativeDivers (who aren't running on the web at the moment), and DiveAruba.

I've actually been e-mailing with the operator of DiveAruba a bit. I think I'm going to try him out, based on recommendations from previous posters. He sounds very user-friendly for the rookie.

I'm now hoping to find another dive shop for my day on the Cayman Islands. I'll only be there about 11 hours, but we dock earlier in the day too.

I pulled up native divers' site to give it to you and it seems to work ok.

What day are you there? We'll be there dec 6-15.

Ok, NativeDivers is working now. Odd. Could not access it from my workplace today. Go figure.

I'm discovering that a lot of these local dive outfits have very minimalist webpages. :)

I'll be in Aruba on Dec 9. Cruise ship trip. Once I've seen all the islands from a boat, I'll be more prepared to make a choice on where I want to spend a longer amount of time. My father was born and and raised on Curacao, so I'm saving that for last. This trip is just Grand Cayman and Aruba.

jhnsndn once bubbled...
I've heard the North Wall is outstanding and less crowded than the east end.

North Wall is excellent diving... but is definitely more crowded than East End. More boats, and some larger boats than ply the waters of East End.

Of course I could be biased, but I would rank the diving on Grand Cayman from best on down as East End, North Wall, South Sound, and then west side.

Brilliance of the Seas is set to call on Cayman on Sunday. Since a few of the retail shops may be closed, you might as well dive all you can in Cayman. You're scheduled in for a long port call (7am-6pm), so you should have a lot of choices.

There are several small operators if that is what you are looking for. Casey at Neptune's Divers is a regular on this board. Danny at Off the Wall gets good reviews and he is a great guy. Jason at Ambassador Divers is another good one. And Nick at Red Baron runs an operation that gets high marks. Lots of good choices, so look them up, send some emails, and see if they can accomodate you.

Drew,

That is exactly the information I'm looking for.

Much appreciate the names and outfits. I'll start sending e-mails tonight and tomorrow.

Nice detective work, by the way. Or are you in the Cruise business? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom