Trip Report Aruba Trip Report, August 22-29, 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice report! I'm considering Aruba for a family trip with some diving, but I've started seeing some horror stories about having to wait hours in the sun for the flight home. We'll have a couple of people with health issues (especially standing for long periods in the sun) -- how was your experience at the Aruba airport?
The airport in Aruba sucks but how long you will be stuck in line depends on a couple of things; season and day of departure. For example, flying to the USA on a Saturday in February or March will be a nightmare. You will probably need the full 3 hours recommended to go through all the nonsense. If flying on a weekday or in low season it isn't that bad.

As to the sun, you really aren't in direct sunlight as they have sun sails for some shade but it is hot standing outside in a line. This line is after you check-in and are waiting for immigration. See the pdf map attached. The purple line shows the flow. After you leave the check-in area and before point B it is outside under the sun sails. It is going to be very hot but you will be out of direct sunlight.

You can pay to bypass the lines. I don't have a link but there is a pay service to bypass the lines. I think it is like $150/person

Tips for Aruba.

First, get Global Entry. You clear US Customs and Border Protection in Aruba so you will be going through Aruba immigration check-out, Aruba security, US Customs and then US security. Global Entry cuts time off of the US Customs and Border Protection line. Pre-check doesn't apply there so no way to save time in the US security line but it does save time when landing in the US if you have a connection.

Get there 3 hours before and have patience.

As to the diving. If this is a trip to see Aruba and enjoy top side things with a couple morning dives it is a good choice. If going primarily for diving, go elsewhere.

Attachments

• AirportMap2022.pdf
    982.5 KB · Views: 78
Nice report! I'm considering Aruba for a family trip with some diving, but I've started seeing some horror stories about having to wait hours in the sun for the flight home. We'll have a couple of people with health issues (especially standing for long periods in the sun) -- how was your experience at the Aruba airport?
I don't remember waiting in sun. It was all under cover from what I remember. Someone else here on SB, and I can't remember who it was talked about using the US Customs MPC app on their Aruba trip. We did that, and it worked quite nice. We zipped through Customs faster than people with the pay for it Trusted Traveler or whatever it is called. Also, you have to pay attention when you get to airport on where to drop bags, and keep it moving. Yes, there is a pile up of people at departure but not a horror story. Just pay attention to the flow and get there early and you'll be good.

I have been to the airport multiple times and imho is blown out of proportion. Yes once it did take in total almost 2 hours. But remember you are also going thru US customs and immigration, it often took us 1.5 hours to clear upon arrival in US (now we have global entry). You are not waiting in direct sun.

So the people complaining that the sun is hot at the airport makes me wonder why. They chose a vacation spot almost at equator yep sun will be hot. Did they complain that the beaches were hot and sunny? We found more places without a/c than with, I guess they will only go where there’s a/c? Some say it’s not fair to the older visitors and children. Seriously? As a kid we would play on the beach all day and to say “older people” is insulting.

I have found every airport employee friendly and helpful, even the TSA and customs agents, I cannot say that about any airport in US! There are so many airports that make AUA look like a paradise.

B
ps last trip we came home on a Saturday. Our flight left at 130p, we got to airport at 10:15a. We were thru the process in 45 min. To bad bars don’t open till noon

I have found every airport employee friendly and helpful, even the TSA and customs agents, I cannot say that about any airport in US! There are so many airports that make AUA look like a paradise.
Man, you sure got that right. Give me 3 hours at AUA vs any hours at MIA. No joke.

last trip we came home on a Saturday. Our flight left at 130p, we got to airport at 10:15a. We were thru the process in 45 min.
Same for us this past February. Arrived 3 hrs. early - sitting at gate in 45 minutes.

leaving from Hadicurari Fishermen’s Pier
left out of Varadero Marina
Did JADS pick you up for these or did you have to get to the piers on your own? As I recall when I was planning our trip, JADS only dives the west side (Antilla) 1, maybe 2, days a week and we would have had to meet them at the Hadicurari pier. At the time I was looking for an op that would pick us up as a rental car wasn't looking very promising. As it turned out, we were able to get a car and wound up diving with an op located right by the Hadicurari pier.

avoid tourist district unless you enjoy high rise hotels and jammed up parking and people everywhere,
Interesting. I probably would have described it the same way the first time we went, but this past Jan/Feb was not that way. We went to Palm Beach (and the Hadicurari pier) several days for diving, eating and an excursion and found a free parking lot that was never even half full. In some places along the beach, there were times it took a little longer to find a place. In town, we parked on the street and had a bit of a walk to the markets, but nothing seemed overcrowded, even with a cruise ship being in - but that was okay with us!!

Glad you had a good trip. If you go back, there are some other decent wrecks to dive.

Pure Diving Aruba is getting into technical diving next to everything else in diving, side mounting and deep wrecks diving.
Good news for Aruba diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom