Ascending without a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Richardson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys

With sadly being only an occasional scuba diving the extent of my information equipment is only a Citizen Promaster Diver AY5000-05L, instrument console depth gauge and a PADI eRDP. As a result, without owning a dive computer, gauging a safe ascent rate of 18m/30ft per minute accurately is pretty hard without having some sort of visual indicator of depth other than the depth gauge on your instrument module/console. So with this in mind is the "never ascend faster than your smallest bubbles" adage a safe rule to live by? Swimming up with slightly negative buoyancy to better control your ascent rate is a safe method to use but a visual comparison by way of the bubbles is surely an immediate reference rather than trying to gauge the 18m/30ft per minute (equating to 1.5m/5s or 2.5ft/5s which is probably easier to estimate?) rate? Any thoughts, opinions, recommendations, etc, about this would be appreciated. Many thanks :thumb:

So with this in mind is the "never ascend faster than your smallest bubbles" adage a safe rule to live by?

Is recreational diving without a computer a safe rule to live by? At best you're limiting your dive times and giving yourself a lot of unnecessary mathematical calculations and at worst you're giving up information and risking making mistakes that could get you decompression sickness.

A good used computer can be found for under $50, less than the cost of a double tank dive in most areas. If you can afford to dive you can afford a basic dive computer.

All I used was a watch, pressure and depth gauges back in the 70s with no adverse effects so I’m sure one could dive without a computer today.

Absolutely! He could also dive without a BC or an SPG... many did with no adverse effects.

All I used was a watch, pressure and depth gauges back in the 70s with no adverse effects so I’m sure one could dive without a computer today.
When my grandfather was young, he went everywhere with a horse and buggy with no adverse affects, so I'm sure you could go without a car today.

Sure. Many of us did and some still do. In calm water ascending slower than your bubbles works nicely. (Mine seem to go 60ft per minute fwiw)

Otherwise watch your time and depth gauge and eventually you can navigate ascents by gauges only.

As noted above, there are easier ways... A disposable razor and aerosol shaving cream might shave easier but some of us enjoy a straight razor and soap shave. (When I use to shave I did)

Dive and let dive.
Cameron

I'd buy a bottom timer or a cheap computer, you can pick something up for around £100 and it'll save you alot of stress, from there is just basic math. Also...18m per minute is pretty quick, might wanna slow that down a notch fella.

Back
Top Bottom