Ascent rate alarm question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga James

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After 101 dives using an SPG and timer, I finally dove with Aeris Atmos this weekend. I was pleased with how easy it was to read at depth.

What surprised me was the rate of ascent that it held me to! On both dives, I was creeping upward at want I consider from previous experience to be very slowly. Each time, the ascent rate alarm went off briefly.

Now when I look at the log function, the ascent rate bar is flashing and all the way to the top. Is the computer just telling me that I violated the rate at some point, or that my entire ascent from depth was too fast. Both dives were at 65 fsw.

After the second dive, I bounced back down (I was on the surface about 3-4 minutes) to retrieve the fouled anchor. Did the computer add that to my second dive? It doesn't display a 3rd 4 minute dive.

The log function is telling you that at some point during the dive, you exceeded what it considers to be a safe rate.

The computer (and this should be true on tables as well) considers any dive within 10 minutes of surfacing as a continuation of the previous dive.

Swampdogg:
After the second dive, I bounced back down (I was on the surface about 3-4 minutes) to retrieve the fouled anchor. Did the computer add that to my second dive? It doesn't display a 3rd 4 minute dive.

Why not just look at the computer log to find out? I know my Suunto will keep a dive "active" for about five minutes (forget the exact time) once you surface, meaning that if you then drop back down three minutes later, this will be added to the previous dives and not logged as a new dive.

I looked at it, and it has two dives, the second about 5 minutes longer than the first, so I figured it must have added it, because I came back with basically the same amount of air on both, and the max depth on the 2 dives was 65 and 67.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember that the Aeris waits 10 minutes after surfacing to call it a "dive". I wonder if the timer keeps running while you are briefly on the surface, because I don't think it took me 5 minutes to go get the anchor.

Swampdogg:
I looked at it, and it has two dives, the second about 5 minutes longer than the first, so I figured it must have added it, because I came back with basically the same amount of air on both, and the max depth on the 2 dives was 65 and 67.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember that the Aeris waits 10 minutes after surfacing to call it a "dive". I wonder if the timer keeps running while you are briefly on the surface, because I don't think it took me 5 minutes to go get the anchor.

Can't you just "replay" the dive in the log? I know I can with my Suunto. Does it show the last dive having you surface than drop back down?

What surprised me was the rate of ascent that it held me to! On both dives, I was creeping upward at want I consider from previous experience to be very slowly. Each time, the ascent rate alarm went off briefly.

More than likely, the "safe ascent" rate of the computer is 30' / minute. I don't have a Aeris but, this is how mine is set up.

MSP Diver:

More than likely, the "safe ascent" rate of the computer is 30' / minute. I don't have a Aeris but, this is how mine is set up.

Seeing as that's a safe ascent rate, sounds like a good thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom