Apple Watch Ultra Ascent Rate Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it helps, here was my python script to go from UDDF to CSV. Anyone good at python would not like the way I did this, but it works. A more proper way to do this would be to use the ElementTree module, which is intended to parse XML, which is what the UDDF file is, but I didn't take the time to figure out how to use that module.

import re

uddf_file = open("c:/temp/python/uddf_to_csv/UDDF_20230710_0748.xml", "r")
csv_file = open("c:/temp/python/uddf_to_csv/UDDF_20230710_0748.csv", "x")

while True:

uddf_line = uddf_file.readline()
uddf_line.rstrip('\r\n')

depth_val = re.search("depth", uddf_line)
if depth_val: depth_val_num = re.findall(r'\d+', uddf_line)
if depth_val: csv_file.write(depth_val_num[0] + "." + depth_val_num[1] + ",")

time_val = re.search("divetime", uddf_line)
if time_val: time_val_num = re.findall(r'\d+', uddf_line)
if time_val: csv_file.write(time_val_num[0] + "." + time_val_num[1] + ",")

temp_val = re.search("temperature", uddf_line)
if temp_val: temp_val_num = re.findall(r'\d+', uddf_line)
if temp_val: csv_file.write(temp_val_num[0] + "." + temp_val_num[1] + "\n")

if not uddf_line: break;

uddf_file.close()
csv_file.close()

Sounds like an oversight by Oceanic – not filtering the real-time depth data carefully enough to avoid spurious rate spikes.
Indeed, I think that is exactly what’s going on; I had it log some ridiculous ascent rate when I waved at one point. Clearly missing some debouncing/low-pass filtering.

I really want to give AWU a try as an evey day watch + dive computer, because I don't dive as much as I used to. I don't want to spend $600-$1000 for a dedicated computer. But reviewing the Oceanic software, I am a bit under whelmed. The two main features I want is average depth on the fly calculation., and stop watch function. why we cannot get that???

I really want to give AWU a try as an evey day watch + dive computer, because I don't dive as much as I used to. I don't want to spend $600-$1000 for a dedicated computer…

If you use an Apple Watch, it's a pretty good deal. By far the best Apple Watch ever, even above the water. Wait until September to buy though- starting to look like an Apple Watch Ultra 2 is actually coming.

If you use an Apple Watch, it's a pretty good deal. By far the best Apple Watch ever, even above the water. Wait until September to buy though- starting to look like an Apple Watch Ultra 2 is actually coming.
I agree it could be heck of a deal as a dive computer and a daily watch.. I do think the limitation is Oceanic software. I don't know why the option of having average depth isn't there, the hardware should have way more than enough capability to keep that calculation. But overall, I haven't had too many good experience with oceanic brand, mayby I cannot expect too much

Back
Top Bottom