Apple Watch Ultra 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My guess is that Apple will invalidate the warranty if there's 3rd party service. Makes sense from their perspective, considering safety issues.
That's explicitly illegal to do in the United States. See: Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

FTC's statement regarding section 108 of the act:
https://web.archive.org/web/20100528040418/http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus01.shtm#Magnuson-Moss:
"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

That's explicitly illegal to do in the United States. See: Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

But the FTC issues waivers when a manufacturer can demonstrate specific needs. Considering the life & death stakes for correct, specialized servicing in a case like this, it’s not going to be as simple as you say. Also, note the qualifier “generally” in your quote – and the product example they cite: vacuum cleaner bags. :wink: I’m pretty sure if you take your Apple Watch Ultra to “Joe’s Watch Repair & Locksmith” down the block, you’ll be disappointed later.

It is likely that the AWU hardware can detect and record the signals from the gaggle of transmitters that are currently in-use. There are multiple microphones on the device and they are all capable of sustaining the pressures associated with recreational diving (down to ~140 feet). The carrier frequency of the typical sending unit is 38 kHz, which, like I said, is very likely to be detectable by the in-built microphones on the AWU (both models). I suspect that Apple is doing what they typically do… reserve some features for later releases so that they maximize sales of the new devices and give the impression that you need to upgrade in order to get the new feature.

The carrier frequency of the typical sending unit is 38 kHz, which, like I said, is very likely to be detectable by the in-built microphones on the AWU

But the 38 kHz signal typically referenced for AI is radio frequency. Audio microphones would be useless.

Garmin uses audio (“SubWave”). Not sure about specs. In any case, audio capability of AWU mics at depth is purely speculative, and IMO unlikely.

So after 21 pages of the thread I need to ask a question that I haven't see answered/asked. We often dive on the edge of NDL and occasionaly pick up some deco. Think Maldives LOB etc...
Does the AWU and Oceanic+ handle this or will it just shutdown?

So after 21 pages of the thread I need to ask a question that I haven't see answered/asked. We often dive on the edge of NDL and occasionaly pick up some deco. Think Maldives LOB etc...
Does the AWU and Oceanic+ handle this or will it just shutdown?
Yep, handles it very well.

Oceanic: “2.0.14 Update is Now Available”
This announcement seems oriented toward their iPhone dive housing, but my guess is that some improvements apply to Apple Watch use as well.

Mar 4 2024​
  • Optimization for Offline Use: We've made significant improvements to ensure the app works smoothly without an internet connection. This includes better handling of network tokens for users with VPNs or under restricted internet conditions.
  • CPU Performance and Battery Consumption: Significant optimizations have been made to CPU performance, which not only reduces battery consumption remarkably but also minimizes device overheating. These changes promise a more efficient and cooler operating experience when using the Dive Housing.
  • Screen Brightness During Standby: To further boost battery efficiency, we've introduced an adjustment that lowers the screen brightness during standby mode.
  • DNG Export for Signed RAW Files: We've revamped the system for exporting DNG files from signed RAWs, addressing an incompatibility issue across various aspect ratios.

I just bought an Ultra 2 yesterday, primarily for longer battery life. I’ll try it diving once our local diving holes are open, just for 💩 and giggles. 😁
I'd be very interested in your opinion, Marie, as you seem to be a no nonsense person. Ive come to really like the Oceanic app as a dive computer, but have only had limited experience with Shearwater while doing my 40m cert. Usability of the Oceanic app is much higher than SW, features of SW much greater than Oceanic.

I'd be very interested in your opinion, Marie, as you seem to be a no nonsense person. Ive come to really like the Oceanic app as a dive computer, but have only had limited experience with Shearwater while doing my 40m cert. Usability of the Oceanic app is much higher than SW, features of SW much greater than Oceanic.

I’ve got 3 SW - Petrel 3 on CCR and 2 Perdix AI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom