Apple Watch Ultra 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pyracon

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone aware of the possibility of Apple adding air integration usable with the Oceanic+ app with the about to be introduced Apple Watch Ultra 2? I see they are increasing the screen size and beefing up the watch a bit. Just curious if they would be also paving the way for air integration which would be a very big deal. If that is a possibility I would also be curious which transmitter technology would be adopted. Looking like a September introduction to the market.

I’ve been following this closely, and I think it’s important to remember that although there are rumors from credible sources about a pending AWU 2 release, dates & features are still speculative.

I’d say the odds of Apple adding air integration/AI are zero. Diving computer functionality is a small niche for Apple to begin with, and AI is a niche within that niche. Direct support would require hardware/manufacturing changes. No chance of that for a tiny sub-niche feature.

At the same time, it might be possible to add AI through a 3rd-party. Hear me out- a small transponder dongle that sits right next to the watch, using Bluetooth signals across a very small water gap & converting them to a signal that’s usable for an existing tank-mounted AI sensor. I think the AWU turns off its radios while in underwater mode, so even this might require Apple (software) changes (not to mention Oceanic et al.) But overall, I think chances are slim to none.

While I do think you are probably right I don’t think the possibility is completely unrealistic. I’m not sure what technology is required to communicate with currently available tank mounted transmitters but small companies like Shearwater and larger companies like Garmin seemed to have not only been able to incorporate it into their Watch devices but are doing a good businesses selling them. My guess is that the technology would be useful for other things as well. There are unused sensors within the watch already. What are they for? How are they capitalizing on them now? They’re not, but likely will in the future. That falls on the app development community Once provided the key to unlocking them.

The romanticism of dive watches has made them an incredibly large and important part of the wrist watch market. It’s not a stretch to imagine that Apple would place this sort of ability into a watch that is being marketed to adventurers. I’m sure they are hoping scuba divers and mountaineers all wear this watch. Which could then become a doorway to their other products. For everyone else there is the regular smaller Apple Watch.

Add another 100 meters of rating, the ability to receive signals from any of the currently available transmitters, and possibly a camera and they will have the interest of the entire dive and water sports community. Far more than they already do. Which is one of the points of the watch to begin with. It’s no secret that most purchasers of dive watches don’t dive. So the market exists beyond actual divers, or free divers, or surfers, or explorers of all kinds. It extends to millions of dreamers. Rolex Sea Dwellers are good below 10,000 feet and yet I’d venture that very few divers purchase them. Try to find one in stock at a Rolex dealer.

I’ll finish by saying again that you are probably right. But not for your stated reasoning. There would be a meaningful market and the technology already exists. Software is usually created and supplied by the outside developers just like Oceanic. Shearwater my even become a developer for a market that large. A full scale dive watch that can function as a dive computer that receives signals from a transmitter is well within the ability of Apple. And that technology, at close to current pricing, would be on every divers wrist. Even as backup to more serious purpose driven dive computers. Everything in diving is redundancies. So we will wait and see. No one would have believed Apple would have created a watch capable of functioning as a dive computer to begin with. The last mile for divers would be to offer the ability to add air integration to an already impressive dive watch. My hope is that they do and I’m not nearly as interested if they don’t. It would be a game changer for a lot of people.

Anyway, thanks for your input. Still hoping for the best.

There are unused sensors within the [Apple] watch already

Where did you hear that?

small companies like Shearwater and larger companies like Garmin seemed to have not only been able to incorporate it into their Watch devices but are doing a good businesses selling them…

Not relevant. Of course Apple could do it, but that doesn't mean that they would. Apple's business is utterly unlike these small (er) companies.

There would be a meaningful [air integration] market

Not by Apple standards.

And that technology, at close to current pricing, would be on every divers wrist.

No- an Apple Watch Ultra would be a waste for divers who aren't interested in smartwatches, or aren't in the Apple ecosystem.

Air integration isn't coming from Apple. It would be nice to see it, but it's not happening, unless as some kind of workaround from a 3rd-party.

My guess is that Apple will ultimately offer the Ultra with air integration. The current diving software for the Ultra is a result of Apple's partnership with Oceanic. Oceanic transmitters have been around for quite some time and are compatible with various dive computer brands including all Shearwater air integrated computers. It is a logical and I would think, quite simple value add for future generations of the Apple Watch Ultra. It is the only thing holding me back from getting one myself. It would not be my primary dive computer, but would be everything that the watch already is + a nice redundant backup while diving.

My guess is that Apple will ultimately offer the Ultra with air integration.

It would be nice, but AI would mean added components/costs & manufacturing changes – for millions of AWUs. All for (from Apple's perspective) a niche, within a small niche. It's inconceivable in the short/medium term, and unlikely longer-term. There might be a 3rd-party solution, though. Possibly from Oceanic.

[Apple Watch Ultra] would not be my primary dive computer, but would be everything that the watch already is + a nice redundant backup while diving.

This seems like the most likely scenario for serious divers. The built-in cell phone & multi-band GPS are also good arguments for this.

Not by Apple standards.

No- an Apple Watch Ultra would be a waste for divers who aren't interested in smartwatches, or aren't in the Apple ecosystem.

Air integration isn't coming from Apple. It would be nice to see it, but it's not happening, unless as some kind of workaround from a 3rd-party.

You seem pretty certain of that.

They took the trouble (made the investment) to make it into a dive watch. It certainly seems reasonable to me that they would invest the small additional amount to expand their market within the dive community. AI has become increasingly popular - to the point that Shearwater decided it was worth it to them to make their own transmitters, instead of continuing to use ones from PPS. Garmin made their Fenix into a dive computer and decided it was not only worth investing to add AI, but also to make their own proprietary AI transmitter.

Apple has all the same motivations. My expectation would be that they will add AI or they will discontinue making dive computers. The recreational sport diving market is the only market for their dive computer and that market in particular is increasingly demanding AI. They have nothing for the tech market. They don't have Buhlmann with Gradient Factors. Oceanic has never offered that algorithm that I know of. The watch limits the diver to 40m. It's recreational sport diving only. It makes no sense for them to be in that market, much less stay in it, unless they offer AI.

I expect Oceanic is making money off the subscription fees for their app. I suspect that they would not have done what they have done so far without an agreement with Apple to add AI - with Oceanic's engineering help - so that Oceanic can also increase sales numbers for their transmitters. Potentially all at no significant expense to Apple. Oceanic supplies them a tiny chip for the AI receiver, and the engineering specs on how to integrate it into the watch. And boom. The AWU has AI.

And probably the AI feature doesn't work unless you are paying for the Oceanic+ subscription.

Oceanic supplies them a tiny chip for the AI receiver, and the engineering specs on how to integrate it into the watch

And that’s why it won’t happen. Apple’s not going to add these components to millions of AWUs for (what is to them) a tiny niche, and is useless except for customers who pay for subscriptions to a 3rd-party specialty app.

Apple has all the same motivations.

Absolutely not. Apple has completely different motivations. It’s a 3-trillion-dollar company and it would be generous to call the AI market a rounding error for them.

Reminder:
Apple = 140 Garmins
And Garmin is massively bigger than Shearwater.

They barely made the original UW into a dive watch - it's depth limited to 40m. Squarely targeted at the casual, occasional recreational diver who probably doesn't want to buy a dedicated DC or would be buying the latest Apple Watch anyway. I really doubt they'd go through the trouble of adding AI, which probably isn't something a large percentage of their target market is using.

My .02.

Back
Top Bottom