ASL (sign language) U/W Video:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbdqsony

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I thought I should post this video that I took to share with you all of scuba divers... So you can get idea what it's like to use ASL (sign language) underwater and it is AWESOME. You all divers can break the communication barrier u/w... no more hand signal or writing by learning ASL :D

FIRST TANK DIVE

(08/15/10) We had BLAST time! In this film was first tank- we went to Mercedes shipwreck. 5 Deaf scuba divers include myself had AWESOME time exploring around and using ASL underwater. I even made some new friends!! The Boat was pretty full however it was filled up with AMAZING scuba divers with Pro Dive!

SECOND TANK DIVE

(08/15/10) we had BLAST time! In this film was second tank- we went to Tracey shipwreck. 5 Deaf scuba divers include myself had AWESOME time exploring around and using ASL underwater. I even made some new friends!! The Boat was pretty full however it was filled up with AMAZING scuba divers with Pro Dive!

This was my first time diving with group of Deaf people and I actually felt like I was in 7th heaven since we have no barrier to communicate underwater. It's amazing to see some other divers staring at us wondering what the heck we are talking about. Full of geaturing and body language.

:yeahbaby:I must say I am proud of Thomas Koch for becoming Deaf Instructor and he also teach scuba diver that wants to learn ASL. :yeahbaby:

Check out his website www.aquahands.com

Extremely cool!

AWESOME! ALSO to add before the grammar police show up... ASL has many short cuts and the language they use is different than the way we speak. Many helping verbs and non needed words are dropped to "get to the meat and poataos" of what you are trying to say. The deaf people I have met write this way and after a VERY basic study of ASL this is why.

I have dove with deaf divers in the past and they make our silly "Look Shark" Look Turtle" Look Lobster" look absolutley stupid with their complete ASL conversations. We are the disadvantaged when it comes to "talking" underwater in comparison to them.

This reminds me of one of the funniest class moments I had. Mother and son that knew ASL, and it took until their last open water dive to realize that it worked underwater (I didn't know the son knew it or I would have pointed that out earlier). We were doing air sharing, and Mom gave the son the reg upside down. I don't know what he said to her, but it didn't look too polite! I almost choked on water I was laughing so hard.

I loved this on your FB page as well. I'm so jealous that you can talk underwater! No slates, no misunderstandings. I'm too busy to learn it at the moment but I may be up for it at some point. :thumb:

Very cool. I think Broward College still accepts ASL as the foreign language requirement. Your posts convinces me I need to take ASL....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom