Aspiring Dive Professional in Maine - Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all. My name is David and I am currently in the Bangor, Maine area.

I did a search today for a dive forum to see if I could get a little help and maybe network with other experienced divers and found Scubaboard.

I left Tucson, Arizona in June after 25 years as a Contractor. I purchased a used 5th wheel, put my things in storage, and set out to explore the New England area for the Summer. I intended to only stay until August but have enjoyed exploring Maine. Besides, the hurricanes in the Florida Keys, where I had planned on going got me thinking I should stay put until everything is cleaned up and back in full swing.

I decided to close my business and begin a new career as a dive pro -- Divemaster Instructor. In Tucson I completed the PADI Open Water Confined Space instruction and book work. I have my log book and now need to do my actual Open Water Dives.

This brings me to my questions.

I have done some internet searches and called around asking how I might complete my Open Water dives and continue on to Master Diver at least- along with the required 5 adventure dives but have had no real luck. Most places here shut down just about everything in the Fall and Winter and don't start again until June and July. Also, Most shops don't really seem to be geared towards helping those that are interested in a career path.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any shops or individuals in the Bangor, Maine area that might be able to assist?
I would like to find someone that dives during the winter -- would even consider purchasing a dry suit in order to do some ice diving and build my resume.

Also, would you all recommend purchasing PADI's Advanced Open Water Course online for the $167 so I can keep moving forward?

Hope this wasn't too long. Just needing help to keep my education going while staying thru July of 2018.

Thank you.

Hey David, I live in the Bangor area. Let me know if there is anything I can try to help you with.

-Steve

Bangor isn't Tuscon... diving up there year round is going to be a challenge and a really good drysuit is going to be essential. I would suggest heading south in the winter unless you have a cadre of dive buddies that are experienced in Maine diving. Cold water is pretty hairy because it can cause some pretty scary responses if you are not prepared for them. Good Luck

Hi David... There is a group of us that are divers in the Bar Harbor area. We have 4 DM's in our club and 1 instructor. You should reach out to Diver Ed (207) 288-3483. http://divered.com Eddie is a good guy and a PADI instructor. Our dive club usually takes a dive trip every other year.

Joe

Hi David,
We have a group here in the Belfast/Camden region called Mid-Coast Maine Aqua-Nuts. Some of us dive locally fairly deep into the winter, most of us get back into local waters by April/May. One of our members runs Blue Harbor Scuba out of Camden (Maine | Scuba Diving Lessons | Blue Harbor Scuba | PADI | Try Dive | Commercial Dive Services - Home page). Let me know and we can put you on our email chain. Cheers, Chip

Thank you Chip. I did actually speak to Terry about 6 months ago before I left on my trip. He did warn me that I probably wasn't going to be able to find too many places to help me get to the Divemaster level. That's ok. I could settle for Advanced Open Water with my 5 Adventure dives. Just anything to help move me along. And yes, you can definitely add me to your list. Thanks again.

Hi David... There is a group of us that are divers in the Bar Harbor area. We have 4 DM's in our club and 1 instructor. You should reach out to Diver Ed (207) 288-3483. http://divered.com Eddie is a good guy and a PADI instructor. Our dive club usually takes a dive trip every other year.

Joe

Thanks Joe. I will give him a call. I checked out his website. That's a great idea for how to make a living diving in Maine. Loved it.

Has anyone completed the AOW online course offered by PADI? Just trying to figure out if it's worth the money. One diver told me that the $167 price would be a waste because whoever teaches the AOW has the coursework included in the price anyway and I'd just be paying twice for the same information.

Has anyone completed the AOW online course offered by PADI? Just trying to figure out if it's worth the money. One diver told me that the $167 price would be a waste because whoever teaches the AOW has the coursework included in the price anyway and I'd just be paying twice for the same information.
Either way the coursework is included in the final price. A dive operator supervising your dives should offer a lower price if you did the work online and a higher price if you are getting the material from them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom