Assembling Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny thing about that GHA. I know I would have found that extremely handy when I first started using a BP/W. I didn't have anyone around here to help me tweak it to fit right, so I had to go on SB posts and YouTube videos and I thought I had it right. It certainly worked and I could insert my fist under the shoulder straps, like is shown in the pictures. But, over time, I tweaked the fit more and more and I finally ended up with it setup in a way that I definitely think is better. And now, the shoulder straps are loose enough that I would have no use for the GHA

The GHA does have a couple of legitimate uses, people with injuries or other problems that limit their range of motion, and those that might need to quickly drop a heavy set of gear at the edge of the surf to effect a rescue of a team mate in the surf line. Short of that a properly adjusted Hogarthian harness is fine for the vast majority of divers.

Most people don't need a GHA, and that is exactly what I tell them. Anybody that's tried to buy a GHA from me know this. If I wanted to force feed the GHA I'd included in our basic kits, but I've always been opposed to selling new divers gear they think they need, but probably don't.

The primary function of the GHA is a to solve the pre purchase perception of the new to BP&W diver who has only ever used a jacket BC. Pretty much all of these folks are convinced that they won't be able to get in to or out of a Hogarthian harness because they assume they will be cinching the harness down as tightly as they have been cinching the harness on their all fabic, no crotch strap, jacket BC in a futile effort to keep the tank from flopping around. They simply cannot conceive that backplate doesn't need an eye poppingly tight harness. Just knowing that the GHA exists relieves these concerns for many. My standard advice is for them to try using their new BP&W *without* a GHA, secure in the knowledge that they can easily add it later. A few do, most don't.

Yup, it's for those new to BP&W divers convinced they *MUST* have a donut wing,(and 14 dump valves) and 1/2 dozen quick releases, and a plate pad and shoulder pads and a STA and a........ when they have zero to a couple dives using a Hogarthian Rigged Back plate.

Fortunately most eventually, after they gain even a modest amount of experience, come to better understand that less is often more....

Tobin

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom