Assessing A Solo Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some level of broader acceptance has already occurred and to my mind has been beneficial. I do share the concern that commoditization might result in trivialization of solo divings inherent risks but am less sure that it has to play out that way.

I'm also starting to wonder if we're trying to have it both ways. I think there is general agreement that most good safe diving practices are equally applicable to both buddy teams and solo. Solo then is just a choice and adaptation that a competent diver makes.
If that's the case then maybe we needn't worry about broad based acceptance unless we view the vast majority of divers as not competent. And maybe that's the case. If so, then the likelihood of any emergency being properly managed isn't all too high and the incremental risk of being solo may be minimal.

I don't understand this concern about "acceptance of solo diving".

If there is a law against it, and it is actively enforced (Laguna Beach, CA ???) then I don't solo dive there.

If it is against the boat rules, then I don't solo dive. Nor do I play games such as same-ocean-buddy to skirt around them. When I go on a boat, I'm obligated, morally and ethically at least, to make a good faith attempt to compy with their rules.

Elsewhere, it doesn't matter what other divers think. I just don't understand the concern about "acceptance".

In some sort of perverse way, it seems like worrying very much about what other divers think is in itself an indication that maybe solo diving isn't right for you. :)

Charlie99:
If it is against the boat rules, then I don't solo dive. Nor do I play games such as same-ocean-buddy to skirt around them. When I go on a boat, I'm obligated, morally and ethically at least, to make a good faith attempt to compy with their rules.:)
Well said and i agree completely

Charlie99:
I don't understand this concern about "acceptance of solo diving".

If there is a law against it, and it is actively enforced (Laguna Beach, CA ???) then I don't solo dive there.
Elsewhere, it doesn't matter what other divers think. I just don't understand the concern about "acceptance".

In some sort of perverse way, it seems like worrying very much about what other divers think is in itself an indication that maybe solo diving isn't right for you. :)
I actually don't care what other divers think either. But to the extent that access for solo diving becomes more prevalent I think that would be a good thing.

Back in the day there were similar issues with Nitrox and the growing numbers of rebreather divers today are also facing similar issues. They've coined the term Rebreather-friendly to identify operators and resorts that are - well - Rebreather friendly.

Regarding "acceptance" of solo, out of curiosity, I called a quarry I was planning to dive and asked them if they had any problems if I were to show up to dive solo. They ummed a moment and then said that I shouldn't have any problems finding a buddy to dive with, as their weekends are always busy. The message seemed, more or less, that they didn't want anyone diving solo.

That weekend, I drove over to the quarry to get some diving in. I put my gear together, just as always. Then, all geared up, I walked past the shop/fill station, smiled, said "see you in a few", and walked down to begin the dive. They didn't object in the least, and I had a great time diving and then chatting with them about it.

That pretty much supported the concept that most places I dive will try to discourage solo diving (liability comes to mind), but if you just gear up and do a solo dive, it's fine by them. With that in mind, I'll read a dive site's rules, waiver, and signage, but if there's nothing prohibiting solo, I take that as implicit permission and don't bother asking (and making them have to put forward a ruling).

(One of the regular paid sites I dive at quite often obviously has no rule against solo diving -- they now refer to me as "that crazy guy from Louisiana who showed up and dove the morning the fill stations were frozen over". Apparently, sometimes a solo diver sticks out... like when you're the only person to dive that day. :D)

Liability is definately a major factor. I dive off of boats mostly so I do ask the captain/operator if solo is an issue. No one has ever said either yes or no. Sometimes its the dance of the 7 veils, sometimes a don't ask don't tell variant. My favorite non-answer was 'Hey, this is Jersey', which I took to mean no problem. In another case the question sparked the classic 'gotta have a buddy' vs 'buddy will kill you' debate between 2 dive shop employees.

Acceptance of solo???
Tell ya What....
We need to all wear a big Donkey Size Solo Diver thang Bling Ring... Yea...
( said Donkey Size 'cause I can't say A- double S here)

All this repression and regression and recession would stop don't you know?

Can it be a big lead weight belt buckle? :D

Timeliner:
All this repression and regression and recession would stop don't you know?

Do i hear a chorus of 'Ball of confusion' building???? Oops, sorry - no chorus in the Solo forum, lost my head.

TomP:
Do i hear a chorus of 'Ball of confusion' building???? Oops, sorry - no chorus in the Solo forum, lost my head.
Hey, as a sound guy, I can't help but note that between multitracking and electronic processing, it's quite trivial these days for a solo act to sound like a chorus. :wink:

You could always present them (quarry, boat, outfit) with an additional solo waiver form. My instructor says this has worked every time for him in the past.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom