Assistance with a purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Crocs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Alright, so I know there are ~400 threads in this section, no doubt many of which are this exact same topic, but...

I am looking at purchasing my first computer. I am a uni student, so naturally I have little income (who's idea was it to start diving?!?) and am looking for the best bang for my buck. I have been looking around, but would like some personal testimonials from some users.

Features I need:
Air/nitrox 40% capable
audible/visible alarms
durable
under $500 (absolute limit), under $400 if possible
good warranty

Features I prefer:
Wrist mounted
Able to be worn as timepiece (E.G. durable enough to stand up to every day use)
compass (wishful thinking, i know).

I dove with an Aeris Manta a few times, and was very pleased. I didn't learn all the features, but it did what I needed it to, and was shiny to boot. Any users out there who recommend/ condemn it?

I also have another question. I would prefer a wrist mounted comp, but I do not own a compass... I am under the assumption that a budget wrist comp won't have a compass, which makes me consider a console (with an analog compass). price range would remain the same.

If this is in the wrong section, I apologize.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Everyone has their favorites, which may or may not match your preferences. Do some searches here to learn about the different algorithms used by different manufacturers, so you can make an informed choice. Search for terms including algorithm, conservative, liberal, etc. Most wrist computers in your price range do not have a compass, and if they do, thye may ot be really useful. Just buy a compass in a small boot or use a wrist mount on the other arm. In wrist computers that are watch style, you will probably be looking at Suunto, Oceanic/Aeris, Cressi and Mares. Go to their webistes to see pictures and look at features, check the prices and then when you have narrowed down your choices do some searches here by the models in question, like the Geo, Edy, Nemo, Manta, Suunto D6, Duo, and a few others.

In the price range you have said, I like the Oceanic Geo/Aeris Manta, but the next person will tell you to get a Suunto or a Cressi or DiveRite, or......

By the way, if you do like the Geo, there are some available as closeouts from Scubatoys and Leisure Pro and elsewhere for $235.00-300.00 which is a very good price for such a computer. Scubatoys also has some lightly used ones.

Last edited:
First I would drop the requirement about using a dive computer as an everyday time piece. You really want a computer with a large display that is easy to read underwater and this will require a size that is too large for every day use. If you find a model you like consider looking for it used to save some $. If you like the Aeris Manta it could work for you. I have an Aeris Atmos 2, but I don't know how they compare.

You will find most of your needs are met by the less expensive models at

Dive Computers and Accessories - Dive Gear Express

also this store has good prices on a variety of computers

Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment and Wetsuits Cheap online

both these are reputable online dealers.

As an aside, if you are serious about underwater navigation, an integrated compass may not be the best. A wrist mounted can be even worse. Serious navigation is often done with a compass board such as

Hollis Gear: DG 01 NAV

or the DIY solution of a board with compass, depth gauge and level attached. These solutions are much more likely to allow accurate navigation. That said, outside of a navigation class or something like military diving, it's unlikely you would need that much accuracy.

Although I don't wear a dive computer as an everyday watch, I know a number of people who do and seem happy with their choice. I also thought a watch-sized display would be too small as a dive computer, but after getting a GEO as a backup to my larger computer, and after plying with my son's Atom 2.0, I was surprised at how readable they were. It all comes down to personal preference. I find a compass clipped to my BC meets my needs, but others like bungee mounts, wrist straps, navigation boards, etc.

I will note that I rarely see people wanting to go from a wrist computer to a console, but often see people wanting to sell a console to buy a wrist computer.

why have it as a timepiece???.....

Thanks so much for the quick and good responses, this really points me in the right direction. I don't actually plan on wearing the watch as a timepiece, but figured that if it was comfortable enough and durable enough to withstand that everyday wear and tear, that would be a plus.

I'll look around and get back to this thread when I can.

Buy a cheap watch and use it as a watch. Buy a cheap wrist mount computer and use it as a computer. Any one in your price range will do all that you are asking. Buy a wrist mount compass for $50. You can get it all within your price range.

Look at Scubatoys for ideas.Get an Oceanic nitrox capable two button computer or look at the Tusa IQ-700 (better choice) and a cheap wrist mount compass.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom