Athens scuba park report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Viz was "ruff", about 10 feet or so.. Still way better than mud I usually swim in :11:... This was a first time trip for me.. I was promised I would like it more than CSSP, Which I did but only cause it's closer.. Cant beat the clarity of Clear springs, Athens was way SILTY... more than a really expected.... All in all a good trip, and I'll look fore ward to the next time... Oh and a bit chilly especially with the wind, But it made for a quiet experience with only a hand full of divers out there so there wasn't any crowding... The airplanes were cool nice and dark the way I like it.... Later:)

Maltese,
Welcome to the board! I am not endorsing Athens; but you might give it a second chance, particularly if it's close to you. Remember, Athens and the surrounding area just took a squall line thunderstorm pounding. That will pretty much screw up the vis anywhere.

What part of Texas are you from? Arlington here. btw, I am not a particularly big fan of Athens for various reasons; but hey! If it's close; it's close. There's something to be said for that. What mudholes do you normally frequent?

John

I'm not knocking them, I knew it was gonna be ruff... There was a tornado touched down in canton Friday, So Athens got whooped pretty good... But I still had to check it out, and I liked it... Athens is about 25 miles from here so I'll defiantly dive there again... The lake I live on is murky year round viz is rarely 3' so that still seamed like paradise.. Here's a link to the lake>>> Fishing Lake Palestine

Two weeks ago the viz was 6 feet...sometimes less..a few times a little better at the bottom. Heavy rains the day before I dove. Water temperature was 80.

I'd say on thursday the vis was 10-15 feet until my friends collided with the bottom, then it went exponentially down from there. Water temp was around 85 or so - dove the second dive with no exposure suit at all.

One thing I'll give Athens credit for is that it would be a good place to work on navigation skills - we worked our way across the [-]mud pit[/-] pond from sunkin object to object using only compass headings.

I had fun, fwiw... but if you're used to clear water in the ocean, you'll be disappointed.

Anyone been diving Athens lately? I am planning to come down from Ks the beginning of Aug for a barnstorming trip: Athens on Fri, CSSP on Sat.

Thank you, appreciate the effort.

Back
Top Bottom