Atlantic & Caribbean Lionfish question.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck "Dixie Arrow", Cape Hatteras, NC

Attachments

• 2007 8-1 Hatteras, Dixie Arrow 005.JPG
    2007 8-1 Hatteras, Dixie Arrow 005.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 51
They are "common" here in NC and will soon be, if not already a problem, when they start eating sand tigers then something will have to be done about 'em, they eat just about every other fish there is.
I say everyone carries tiny teeenie tiny little spear guns and kill every last one of 'em.
OR somebody come up with a great recipe for "Fried Lion fish" .....everything tastes good fried.

I wonder if these things are edible? Maybe if there was a tasty recipe for them people would start harvesting them.

They are bad news for the reef because they are very indiscriminate feeders. They will eat anything they can get into their mouth. If they go unchecked they could substantially effect the eco system.

Okay, guys...that's why I started the other lionfish thread (Eradication--what's your opinion) just before this one appeared. Weigh in on that one, please. It could be considered data for future decisions.
Thanks for your imput!

This is also a growing population of them off Jacksonville Florida as well. If you want to see Lionfish AND get in on some great spear fishing that would be a good place to go.

Today a lionfish was caught just off the coast by Punta Gorda, Roatan. It was inside the reef and about 20ft deep. The fish was given to the Roatan Marine Park, still alive and I've been told that this is officially the first one photographed and caught in Honduras. Unfortunately it was big - about 8 to 9 inches from the mouth to the base of the tail, which means it has been here for a while. If you are on Facebook you can see images of this fish through the Subway Watersports pages. I'm a techno idiot and can't figure out how to upload them on to Scubaboard - sorry!

I was in Holguin (north east of Cuba) early April. Saw A LOT! At least 5-6 on each dive.

We saw three fish (one on each of three different dive sites) yesterday after not seeing any previously. From what I understand, these are the first confirmed sightings on the Caribbean side of Panama (We are in Bocas del Toro). I am going to kill every one I see, and instruct my crew to do the same. They are very tasty (better than grouper!), but have to be cleaned up very carefully. How do I put a picture on a post?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom