Atlantic lionfish invasion story on NBC news tonight!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know how Lionfish taste? If they were good to eat, you could look at the decimation of the hogfish population by commercial spearfisherman...and a hogfish is MUCH harder to shoot than a slowpoke like a lion fish.
I would also ask if there are any toxicity issues beyond the spines...a deal breaker for eating them. If they could be sold in restuarants in South Florida, the lionfish would rapidly disappear.

Kill them all as fast as you can or pay the price!!

The only green you should see is their blood.

See post #18 for taste!

As far as killing them all! Good luck! You must really think we have power over every nook and cranny of the sea? You might be able to control populations, but never eliminate until nature is ready to do so!

See post #18 for taste!

As far as killing them all! Good luck! You must really think we have power over every nook and cranny of the sea? You might be able to control populations, but never eliminate until nature is ready to do so!

Ahh Papa Bear, may I remind you about the near extinction of jewfish in Florida waters--from a 1950's population that was staggeringly huge, to zero on any reefs dove by 99% of florida divers in the 90's. There were a small number of big jewfish left on deep 260 foot ledges, and very deep shipwrecks, and maybe I will guess this was breeding stock that was able to repopulate, once they were deemed protected.

And Hogfish used to be so plentiful back in the 80's, that I could go to a dive site called the Playground ( 115 feet deep off the palm beach inlet) at twighlight, and shoot litterally as many as I wanted---8 or ten ten pounders was easy, and there were plenty of 15 pounders, and some even much larger. Today---rarely do you see a hogfish---and if you do, it is tiny. Hogfish tasted too good for their own safety, and the Jewfish brought down the wrath of the commercial fisherman and lobster pot fisherman--jewfish damage to nets, and lobsters were a favorite food of jewfish.

I'm just saying, the lion fish is so easy to hit, you might not even need a speargun or polespear---you could easily get them with a big knife if the spines were not so large and dangerous.

There are still plenty of commercial spearfisherman--all they need is a good price per pound of lionfish, and the issue will be over in a year or so. The jewfish and hogfish at least were hard targets.
I am freedive spearfishing alot these days....and the next time I see a lionfish...KAPOW :)

Different life cycle and different fish! Look what has happened in the last 15 years and we aren't talking about a huge target sitting in the open, but a fish that hides in the reef and is very fast when they want to be!

Just found this video on spearing and eating lionfish..they claim they taste great..

YouTube - Lionfish Hunter 3/28

I need more confirmation that their is no poisen in the flesh--but there would really be no need for evolution to add this to the spines.

Different life cycle and different fish! Look what has happened in the last 15 years and we aren't talking about a huge target sitting in the open, but a fish that hides in the reef and is very fast when they want to be!

I saw alot of lionfish in Fiji. They were pretty and cool to see there....but they would have been remarkably easy to shoot, and not hard to see/hunt for.

They fish them there and there are plenty to be found! They just aren't a proffered fish if other are available:)

They fish them there and there are plenty to be found! They just aren't a proffered fish if other are available:)
Not to mention the fiji islanders shoot the fish at night, while many species are sleeping/torpid ....they probably felt the spines and small size of the fish, meant too much of a pain in the butt, with many larger and equally easy to hit targets..

Just found this video on spearing and eating lionfish..they claim they taste great..

YouTube - Lionfish Hunter 3/28

I need more confirmation that their is no poisen in the flesh--but there would really be no need for evolution to add this to the spines.

That is a fun vid, thanks Dan. I would not worry about the flesh of a small one, although, Ciguatera US FDA/CFSAN - Bad Bug Book - Ciguatera may be problem as with any large Caribe predator. Muscle tissue is fairly safe, even the deadly fugu in Japan is only poisonous if the liver is cut.

The varmints can live down at 250 ft, so we can't kill them all.

Back
Top Bottom