Atmos 2 - Is the quick disconnect a good or bad thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen Dancheck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning on buying the Aeris Atomos 2 in a console with the compass. I am having trouble deciding on if I should get the quick disconnect or not. What do you think?

Thanks
Karen

I have an Oceanic (same computer, different name) on my wrist, but my wife has hers with a QD. It's great on boats, etc, cuz you can take it with you easily. It also helps when I want to download the profiles, I don't have to lug her entire reg rig. I can't think of a drawback, except the extra $80 or so...

My recreational regulator has the Atmos2 attached with a quick disconnect.

It's very convenient for logging dives. Just disconnect and carry to a convenient table.

I was initially worried about reliability and the possibility of an unintentional disconnect. It has been 100% reliable, and I can't disconnect it after pressurizing it, even when I try.

I have worried about the possibility of getting sand into the open ends, should it disconnect on a beach when no pressure in the system, but haven't had it happen.

I'd buy another quick disconnect without a qualm.

All the best, James

Karen Dancheck:
I am planning on buying the Aeris Atomos 2 in a console with the compass. I am having trouble deciding on if I should get the quick disconnect or not. What do you think?

Thanks
Karen
Hey Karen!

The only thing that can happen with the QD is there are a few o-rings in there - and that means one could leak... Out of thousands that we've sold, I've seen that about 3 or 4 times... But they give you the replacement o-rings with the computer in case it ever happens.

The whole reason for it is if you want to take it off the reg... either for travel or downloading... Personally I check the whole thing through in baggage - and don't carry on squat... And I don't download my dives to my computer... so for me - it isn't of much value.

If those things are important to a diver, then the QD is great - so it's not really as much is the QD good or not - it's more like do you need one...

Back
Top Bottom