Atmos 2 or Mosquito?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott Riemer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Atmos 2 or Mosquito? I've been looking at these 2 computers and was wondering if anybody knows enough to tell me what, if any, discernable differences there are. Is one more conservative than the other? etc. Thanks.

Oh yea... One is way more conservative. The Aeris is based on 12 tissue groups and uses the same table theory as the Padi Tables... which when rounded, say you can do a 60 foot for 55 minutes. US Navy says 60 minutes, and the Aeris is 57 minutes. The Suunto is 49 minutes... very conservative in contrast. The other difference is Suunto does not allow net sales, while Aeris does with warranty through authorized dealers.

Now if you want to make the Aeris more conservative - it's a pretty easy thing. It's got an alarm you can set to go off at any number of nitrogen bars being lit on the graph. For example, do you want it to beep at you when you exceede the 60 for 57? Then set it to beep when you hit the red... Or back it down so it beeps when it hits the first bar of caution or the second... etc.

Thanks for the reply. That info. is very useful to helping me choose. Does the Aeris Atmos 2 have a safety stop countdown like the Mosquito?

Hi Scott,

Yes the Atmos 2 does have a safety stop countown. It automatically goes into the countown when you ascend to 20ft.

It is a fabulous computer. I was also concerned about purchasing a conservative computer. I love that you program the alarm to go off at a certain point on the nitrogen bar graph.

The only complaint I have about the computer is that it only records 25 dives before it starts recording over your oldest dive. They need to give computers enough memory for those who travel and dive, dive, dive! ha We just got back from Bonaire. 28 dives in 10 days.

I purchased my computer with Larry from Scuba Toys. He gave me a great deal!

Karen

Wow! Quick response! Thanks Karen. I think I'm leaning that way then (towards Atmos). I really don't need the Nitrox capabilities but may someday so I figure it's worth it to spend the extra cash up front.

scubatoys:
Oh yea... One is way more conservative.
snip...
The other difference is Suunto does not allow net sales, while Aeris does with warranty through authorized dealers.
snip...
I wondered why you guys didn't sell Suunto products... Leisure Pro does, but I have suspicions about the warranty through them.

geraldp:
I wondered why you guys didn't sell Suunto products... Leisure Pro does, but I have suspicions about the warranty through them.

No need to be suspicious.... there is none... LP warranty only so if Suunto has a recall, you won't be notified. If it fails... you hope LP replaces it - as suunto won't fix it.

It's not just that on the Suunto for me though... I just never really liked them. I don't like their display as much, they don't seem as intuitive to program, and then the overly conservative profiles.

I carry stuff in my store - even if we can't sell it on the net - like ScubaPro... so it's not just the no internet rules for them. Each consumer (and dive shop owner) just has to look at a product and weigh out it's price, dependability, user friendly aspects, how well does the company stand behind it... and of course how cool it looks... Then make the judgement call on what they want to carry.

I've got enough conservative computers with the RGBM Mares/Dacor stuff - and their new NEMO wrist watch computer... really neat looking.... Also we have the Uwatec which are conservative as well... And even in the store where I can sell any of the items - Aeris is our #1 seller when people compare them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom