Atocha investors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe they are having trouble selling 8-reales at $1000 a piece?

If I had $10K laying around and no need for it, I'd sign up just for the dives. But your investment is only good for 1 year.

FD

jeffrey-c:
Anyone understand why they would still be seeking investors given the amount of money that the syndicate has originally brought in? Seems that future salvage efforts would be easily self funded at this point.

rule number one of investment:

don't use your money when you can use somebody else's

Hey Steve .. I read these forums all the time. I activated an account just to give you my two cents worth. The treasure from the Attocha is long gone the real money that the Fisher coorporation makes comes from the continued ivestments. If you feel like investing the money to dive the site then go for it. The site itself is not much to speak of due to the mailboxing of it over the past three decades. The reps will show you treasure that has been found or elude to being close to the mother load, but all that is left is in their "museums" . Research the company you might find that Ol Mel got in trouble for counterfeiting coins and selling them as originals. I think they may even lease out areas so that one might personally search an area. The point was made earlier with the billions that have been found already: why would they need an investors money? Personally, I would take the money, purchase a magnetometer go to the library and research for other wrecks.

panhandvr:
Ol Mel got in trouble for counterfeiting coins and selling them as originals.

well, not quite ... he is guilty of a bit of salesmanship, but not of counterfit

what he did is he used silver ingots found in the wreck to stamp coins of the period from modern molds, then he sold the coins as "authentic Atocha treasure"

which they were

but you had to read the fine-print to figure out the coins weren't "real" but rather modern coinage coined from the wreck's silver

i bought one for my wife, knowing what it was, and i think it was a great value and a piece of history anyway

ehh you are right .. good point it's all in the wording . However I still don't believe diving the area formerly know as the attocha site is worth 10k. I would hope that a person might receive one of those coins in return for that investment. The museum and conservation lab are fun to visit.

The area is not formerly known as the Atocha site. It is the Atocha site and is getting bigger. More artifacts are being found further out and now it is spread out for about 8 miles. There is much to be found but that is a mighty big haystack out there. A person who can't afford the risk should invest elsewhere. Some folks will get a payout one day. Not for the faint of heart or spending the kid's college money for.

haha yeah your right the site is a geographically there and getting bigger due to being blown over and yep there are numerous artifacts torn up wood,concreted iron not of much monetary value . ballast stone but that has been moved maybe even gold ,but the amount that is left would hardly be much of a return to the plathera of investors.There would be a better return in Vegas.The chance and amount of monetary of return would be the same.
The gold fever is hard to resist and your right the investment is not for the faint of heart. Unfortunately too many people who can't afford it are duped into paying for the Fisher companies extended dive trips.
The question still remains after pulling over five billion dollars in gold off the ship why do they still need investors?Besides the gold ,what about the millions that have been invested ever the past 30 years. What would be ones cut with the minimal ivestment be when other are pouring money into a fruitless operation?
The best investment would be to buy one of the coins for a necklace and use the remaining amount to finance your own personal search . The return on investment would be the same or most likely better. There is something called the law of diminishing returns... anyway
Personally I admired Mel , but the things he accompished are tainted by the con game his company has become.
If ya want to spend the money to dive the site, go for it , at least you can say you've done it.

The payment is also in the treasure they find and not cash. If I am not wrong they charge a high percentage to sell your share of the loot. I two was considering investing but I decided against it. Good Luck

Also, most of the treasure they bring up now is in the form of emeralds. Very cool gemstone, but the they're not really being recovered by diving, but by bottom dredging and screening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom