Skipping open circuit and going straight to CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
T

takez0

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first post here. I've learned a ton on this board and I'm grateful for the insights you all provide.

I'm getting into technical diving and I'd like to jump straight into a CCR. Does the group see any benefit or hindrance in skipping open circuit tech training costs and equipment costs and going straight into a CCR? CCR's are obviously an investment. I'd rather not spend money on a new BCD, manifold, tanks, etc., that would only be used specifically for dual-tank open circuit, considering I know where I want to end up already. Let me know your thoughts or if you think this is missed training opportunity.

Be careful with that Mod verbiage , you might offend some of the old schoolers around here :wink:
I’m not too concerned. It’s all kind of ridiculous anyway. All instruction should be aligned with gas physiology and not the arbitrary leveling that’s occurred in both oc and cc.

I’ve read lots of misunderstandings here about o2 only units. You do not spontaneously combust at 20’ depth. Oxygen exposure limits are dose dependent. If using a pO2 display and are trained in loop flushing techniques it’s very easy and reasonably safe to dive to 30’, and for very long dives.
How many dive sites have interesting stuff to see shallower than 30ft? There are a few places in the tropics where that could work but otherwise it seems pointless. Most of the good sites that I've dived all around the world have been deeper.

With such a shallow limit why not just free dive instead?

How many dive sites have interesting stuff to see shallower than 30ft? There are a few places in the tropics where that could work but otherwise it seems pointless. Most of the good sites that I've dived all around the world have been deeper.

There are certain experiences that benefit from being on the bottom - photography, spear fishing, harvesting. I actually make a living spending 5 hours a day in 20’ of water. .

There are certain experiences that benefit from being on the bottom - photography, spear fishing, harvesting. I actually make a living spending 5 hours a day in 20’ of water. .
Yikes. Five hours a day at elevated PPO2 can't possibly be healthy. The cumulative oxidative stress is insane. 😬

Cenotes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom