Atomic Authorized service vs. good and inexpensive regulator service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edgrimley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
During my last dive trip I discovered a leak in the first stage of my 12+ year old Atomic B1 (yoke). The air was coming out from under the plastic/rubber sleeve - not from the reg/tank seal, or a hose fitting.

I noticed some very slight bubbling from this area a few weeks ago and put off getting the reg serviced.

My guess is I'll need some new o-rings or something inside the first stage. I am about 14 months out from my last service (Atomic recommends every two years) with diligent washing and storage after each dive.

My question is about where to go for service.

1. I last got the reg serviced at a reputable authorized LDS in my area. Total service was about $150, which included replacing the jet piston. If I take it to them again I expect to pay a premium. And I expect all serviceable parts and o-rings will be replaced.

2. My even closer and more convenient LDS is a no-frills shop. Owned and operated by a guy who isn't an authorized retailer of any brand. Doesn't believe in performing work or charging for anything more than what absolutely has to be done. I took a Scubapro MK25/D400 in for service and he replaced some o-rings and charged about $10, total.

Is there any reason to go to #1?

Thanks!

The first stage kit cost the shop 30 bucks. If they did it right, the job took 30 minutes of labor, but about 2 hours in total time, to clean the reg parts. They need soaking. Each second stage kit cost the shop $16 bucks, and again, 1/2 hour for each second stage. You're looking at 1 1/2 hours and $62 in parts. The Jet Seat upgrade they did last year was an additional $45. I don't think you were ripped off by the shop, and you got authorized parts in your regulator.

Now, the guy down the street will put in a o-ring that fits, but will be the wrong durometer. All you need is an o-ring, but it will fail in less than the 2 year interval. Your guy down the street with the no-frills shop doesn't have liability insurance either, by the way. That's why he only charges $10 to put in a 30 cent o-ring. I know he doesn't have liability insurance because liability insurance is null and void if you are working on regulators you aren't authorized to work on. So, if the only person your potential regulator failure will affect is you, go for it. If you have a wife and baby you're leaving behind, well, wouldn't you like them to have someone to sue?

Last edited:
A couple of highly respected tech divers on the forum (fdog) recommend utilizing Atomic directly for servicing. I sort of get a warm feeling about this idea. Just an FYI...

Thanks, Frank. That outline really helps me understand the costs and labor associated with this type of service. I didn't think I was getting ripped off (well, they did replace the healthy watch batteries in my old computer without me asking...and attempt to charge me $25 for that). But this is helpful.

When I need an outside repair operation, here is who I use: home page

Regulator service includes complete dissasembly and cleaning. We replace all parts required by the manufacturers specifications for service. (Parts not included unless covered by warranty, paperwork is required.)

1st stage only $ 20.00
2nd stage only 20.00
alternate air source 20.00
1st and 2nd stage 40.00
1st, 2nd and alternate air 60.00

Thal:

I'm sure you remember Al Thompson from Professional Scuba Repair in LA.

I was a rep at the time and used to stop by PSR every time in LA. Always learned something from Al.

These days many stores have a repair tech who attended some seminar for a few hours and received
a "certificate of attendance" a far cry from being really competent to repair the brand in question.

There are, of course, many LDS folks who have good repair departments.
I prefer the Al Thompson approach.

Last edited:
Yes, my "no frills" guy has been in the business for years. Well known in this area. And I've heard he even services gear for other shops. I'm less concerned about him doing a poor job. More concerned with getting taken advantage of by a more full-service shop.

I am a certified Atomic service tech, and have dove atomics for a long time. I can not tell you the number of times I receive Atomic regulators for service that have the incorrect parts in them where they were serviced by a non authorized repair facility. When serviced correctly, in my opinion, you will not find a better breathing and low maintenance regulator anywhere.

Slightly OT but ...

Most of the parts in a service kits are o-rings. They can be properly sourced and will work which is why the cost of the service kits gravels many people (the availability issue aside). But things like HP / LP seats are typically specific to the reg mfg. So you are kinda stuck in most but not all cases.

I too have wondered about the mfg reg repair "courses" offered at DEMA. They seem a bit quick. Especially, when it comes to other industry courses like cylinder inspection courses that last all day. But after that they are a certified tech for that mfg. I learned everything I know from Pete and Vance :). And in servicing regs that I bought used I have seen some oddities that lets say would not meet specs.

To answer the OP's question. If you are comfortable with the non-authorized route and do not need parts like seats I would say go for it. He may well have more experience than the "authorized" tech.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom