Atomic Cobalt compass problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please let me know how it goes. Just to be clear, this compass will definitely deflect if it gets very close to ferrous metals- as will any magnetic compass. But the ordinary distances that it would be from a steel tanks you were wearing should not be a problem, at least if you are holding the compass where you can see it. The proximity to the metal is more of an issue than the amount of metal, so something like a knife or even a smaller object held close to the compass could create errors.

So if the Junkyard is indeed what it sounds like, I wonder...:wink:

Ha! The Junkyard isn't littered with ferrous debris, as the name might imply, at least not in the section that we hold classes in. However, I can't rule out the possibility of a giant iron UFO lurking under the sand...

As for the compass issue - after a fresh calibration, I took the Cobalt out and ran a U-pattern search. Not only was the compass accurate and tracking beautifully, but I was reminded of how much I LOVE that "bearing marker" feature (brilliant)!

I'll be sure to let ya know if the issue occurs again.
Perhaps the 10" axis shift from Japan's Tsunami had something to do with it ;-)

24 dives and still loving the Cobalt!

If only he would turn his immense talents towards developing a Cobalt case...:shakehead:
Ah, we have competing solutions we are working on- the Cobalt Cozy, knitted to resemble cuddly sea creatures; the Cobalt Camo, a unique camouflage material said to deter theft (if I can find the sample- it was here just a minute ago); and The Dual Integrated Redundant Cobalt Case, a double container that closes with D-rings, not zippers, to protect against possible zipper failure. Finding the perfect solution takes time.

As for the compass issue - after a fresh calibration, I took the Cobalt out and ran a U-pattern search. Not only was the compass accurate and tracking beautifully, but I was reminded of how much I LOVE that "bearing marker" feature (brilliant)!

I'll be sure to let ya know if the issue occurs again.
Perhaps the 10" axis shift from Japan's Tsunami had something to do with it ;-)

24 dives and still loving the Cobalt!

Glad it's working well for you. Our experience has been that being careful with the calibration makes a lot of difference. Thanks.

Ron

My second Cobalt will only display a heading of east. No matter what direction I am facing.

I have recalibrated it about 20 times no change.

I had a friend (700+ logged dives) try a calibration also. Just to find out if I am just not understanding the manual. Again east is the only heading after the friends calibration efforts.

One thing that is interesting is that while the direction the computer faces does not affect the heading that is displayed the overall orientation does. If I hold the computer above my head inverted and look up it displays west as the heading. And then if I rotate it at various angles (vertical angles) I can get any heading I want. But the same heading no matter what direction the computer is facing.

My second Cobalt will only display a heading of east. No matter what direction I am facing.

I have recalibrated it about 20 times no change.

I had a friend (700+ logged dives) try a calibration also. Just to find out if I am just not understanding the manual. Again east is the only heading after the friends calibration efforts.

One thing that is interesting is that while the direction the computer faces does not affect the heading that is displayed the overall orientation does. If I hold the computer above my head inverted and look up it displays west as the heading. And then if I rotate it at various angles (vertical angles) I can get any heading I want. But the same heading no matter what direction the computer is facing.

Michael,
Glad you got the replacement, at least. The accelerometer appears to be working to sense position, but the compass is clearly off.

Is there any possibility that the surface you were using for calibration contained or was near ferrous metal, or other potential magnetic sources like electric motors? We had someone who was being very careful and calibrating repeatedly, but was doing it on a table that had pipe legs- they threw the calibration off and gave bad readings. I found I couldn't do the calibration on a kitchen counter above a dishwasher, because of the motors. So check for stray magnetic influences around your calibration area. Motors or lumps of ferrous metal will affect any compass, but when calibrating a digital one like this it's critical that they be well away- a couple of feet. That is something that will get more emphasis in the next manual.

The accuracy of the compass is very much dependent on calibration accuracy- even a couple of degrees off from a true 180° rotation will have an effect, so doing it very carefully will help. But even less careful calibrations will still give you a compass that is useful, not anything like what you are reporting. Only stray magnetic forces should muck it up that badly. I'm hoping that is the explanation for your problem

If calibrating in a spot free of magnetic influence still does not give a compass that is reasonably accurate, in any position, then there are only two possibilities. The compass chip has failed (we have had two failures out of all we have shipped), or the initial calibration at the factory, which sets the gain and offset constants for the compass chip was not done properly. While it is possible in a pinch to redo the initial calibration in the field (with instructions and some effort), a compass that won't calibrate should be returned so Atomic can determine which of the two failures it is. I hope yours has an easier explanation, though.

Ron

Michael,
Glad you got the replacement, at least. The accelerometer appears to be working to sense position, but the compass is clearly off.

Is there any possibility that the surface you were using for calibration contained or was near ferrous metal, or other potential magnetic sources like electric motors? We had someone who was being very careful and calibrating repeatedly, but was doing it on a table that had pipe legs- they threw the calibration off and gave bad readings.
Ron

Ron,

Yes the replacement was delivered as promised and I am very grateful to all involved. Yourself included.

We where both very careful to avoid any metal or unknown materials. We used wooden table without even nails in it (hand made for me). The table was well away from all metal, computers, dishwashers and a like.

I had my friend try the calibration independently, so I could see if there was something I missed. The friend also tried various improper calibrations in an effort to show us both what was going wrong. We agree as far as we can determine there is no functioning compass in my second Cobalt.

Michael.

Ron,

Yes the replacement was delivered as promised and I am very grateful to all involved. Yourself included.

We where both very careful to avoid any metal or unknown materials. We used wooden table without even nails in it (hand made for me). The table was well away from all metal, computers, dishwashers and a like.

I had my friend try the calibration independently, so I could see if there was something I missed. The friend also tried various improper calibrations in an effort to show us both what was going wrong. We agree as far as we can determine there is no functioning compass in my second Cobalt.

Michael.

Well, then it's one of the other two problems. We have had almost no compass failures, so I suspect initial mis-calibration. That is very easy to fix. Just to help track this down, can you PM me with the serial # and software version # on this replacement unit? I'd like to know when it went through production.

Ron

Ron,

I have sent the requested information. To be very clear. I have had another person attempt calibration. We are not near any metal. The result was identical.

Michael.

i am having the same problem i have tried it over nad over. When i am pointed north it reads East and nothing changes it. Can you help?

i am having the same problem i have tried it over nad over. When i am pointed north it reads East and nothing changes it. Can you help?

If you have tried to calibrate well away from metal, as in the directions above, then the only thing I can suggest is returning it to Atomic to have the baseline calibration redone. They can also make sure the actual chip is working properly.

If you can, PM me with your serial # and place of purchase.

Thanks,

Ron

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom