• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Atomic Cobalt Dive Computer Recall

Discussion in 'Manufacturers Recall Notices' started by Cha Cha Cha, Sep 26, 2012.

1. RonR

RonR Dive Equipment Manufacturer

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    The issue is the potential for HP air to leak past a small O-ring that seals the sensor to the HP connector housing/ QD fitting. This potential exists if the stud nut that holds that sensor in position was not tightened sufficiently in assembly. This O-ring seal is located at the other end of the QD fitting, where it connects with and holds the actual sensor, which is a small ceramic disc. If the nut (which is entirely inside the case) isn't tight, the sensor can move slightly, allowing the O-ring to come off its seat and leak, pressurizing the inside of the case and potentially blowing off the lens or popping the lens O-ring. Fortunately Atomic has only found a few Cobalts (3 at my last update) that are not properly tightened and need to go back to the factory. But all the ones in the serial numbers listed should be checked. You will get a spiffy new cover out of the deal.

Ron

2. mikeycanuk

mikeycanuk Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Our two are still in our LDS. Might be ready but no rush and besides I now have to make sure they have 6 Aqualock weight pockets - we are on that recall too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. bill1946

bill1946 Angel Fish

:confused:My wife's Cobalt experience has been weird as well as mine. Her first Cobalt failed out of the box. It was replaced. The new computer exploded in the Solomon islands. That was replaced. This month, she notice moisture in the console during her first dive. It died after the first dive. Cobalt has been nothing but nice and cooperative during this whole process. However, I fear the next one will not live up to the expected reliability. The problem is we love the computers and find nothing measures up to the performance. It is the reliability that is my only problem. Wife will now be working with a fourth unit.
    [/SUB].

4. mikeycanuk

mikeycanuk Loggerhead Turtle

Solomon's, Cobalt. You weren't on our cruise. Our 3 Cobalts worked perfectly except I blew yet another o ring. We take 2 spare hoses so no dives lost. The crew of the Bilikiki told us Atomic gave them Cobalts for the DM's but both died. Funny my wife's bad a bad button right out of the box so we got a brand new one and I recently got her a Cobalt 2 for her birthday. That's why we have 2 spare hoses.

5. RonR

RonR Dive Equipment Manufacturer

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    There is new Cobalt 2 production underway with some changes to the case. Atomic has been continually adjusting design and assembly to target any failure points that appear in use.

I provided demo Cobalts, a 1 and 2, to Bilikiki as a kind of torture test- I'll have to get them back and see what went. I looked over the Cobalt 1 a while ago, and it had about 500 dives and was still going.

I know Atomic has a new O-ring for the QD fitting that should be more durable- that's a common wear point in any QD computer.

-Ron

6. Sam L

Sam L Garibaldi

The Cobalts we have had on Bilikiki for a long time have been great. Just to clarify the ones our DMs have been using did not die but we had two guests whose computers did, I think due to the problem they have been recalled for. I personally used one for a couple of years while I worked there, had no problems and loved using it. It did eventually need to be sent back to have a pressure sensor replaced but that was after a lot of use.