Atomic First Stage Serial Number Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCat33

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been looking to obtain an Atomic First stage, and there is one at my local dive shop willing to sell me. I was looking for a M1, T1, ST1, (upper level) atomic first stage. I wondered if someone might be able to shine a light on the SERIAL NUMBERS for each level so I knew exactly what I was getting (seeing as most first stages look alike).

Thanks!

For each of these, one can tell the first stages a part via looking at them as the material is different. For instance Ti regulators have a satin finish. ST1 have "ST1" embossed on them. The M1 does look similar to the B2 but environmentally sealed. The only way one can truly tell an M1 from B2 is to check on the piston and turret swivel to confirm they are monel. Given all of that - serial number is not really needed for new regs. Now if buying on the used market it might be useful. That said for used the 1- series v2 2-series is an issue (i.e. the piston upgrade). Many sellers call a Z1 or B1 a Z2 or B2 respectively when they have not had the upgrade.

Yep, it's market used. Only the first stage to tell.

I'm not really sure what you want to know. Are you interested in the material that the regulator is made of (Ti vs Zirconium vs Brass vs Monel) or are you looking for the number of the reg (Ti1 vs Ti2, etc.)? If you're looking for the number, the regs have to be torn down to tell which upgrades have been accomplished. I have a very early titanium (SN BA00037), but if you looked inside it, you would find all of the upgraded parts, at least up to T2x specs. I don't know what the T3 specs are yet.

---------- Post added January 1st, 2014 at 08:46 PM ----------

Looking at the T3, mine are already there, since they are DIN, and the big difference seems to be the yoke screw from the T2x.

I'm wondering WHAT the serial numbers would be for an M1 first stage for example. Wookie, like you said your T1 was BA00037. I'm wondering if theres a way to tell from the serial number what grade (ie: M1, T1, ST1) from the Serial Number (the serial number is GBA024).

Thanks!

I don't have a Zirconium or Stainless, but I'll look at a Brass, or a Monel to see if they start with GB....

I'm wondering WHAT the serial numbers would be for an M1 first stage for example. Wookie, like you said your T1 was BA00037. I'm wondering if theres a way to tell from the serial number what grade (ie: M1, T1, ST1) from the Serial Number (the serial number is GBA024).

Thanks!

The serial number could be anything. There is no specific starting number/letter that relates to the material. They are based on production dates. As you have the serial number just call Atomic and ask them. From the serial number they can tell you the exact configuration it was in when it left the factory.

To followup with what Frank mentioned about updates. One can take a B1, put in an updated monel piston, install the model swivel retainer, and seal the regulator. Viola the first stage is now an M1. Similarly one could take a Z1 second stage update it with a M1 color kit and and heat sink. Viola an M1 second stage. So as Frank said to really confirm one needs to strip down a first stage and inspect. A second stage can be visually inspected to know what was done.

Back
Top Bottom