Atomic M1 breathes terrible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fieldzy0

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ok here is what i got, atomic m1 just serviced but not the first stage just changed the mesh filter in first stage. When i get past 60ft it breathes like i'm sucking through a straw. I know when i'm past 60ft because the thing breathes like crap.Now when i switch to my apeks xtx100 i don't know what depth i'm at because it breathes the same from top to bottom. Does anybody know if i can send it back to the factory for a complete rebuild of the first stage. Does anybody else have this problem with an atomic M1. It doesn't breath the same from 10ft-100ft at all and i don't know what is going on with this thing but starting to think this is a very infearer reg. Everyone says this is an awesome reg. but i don't see that at all. It is night and day between my xtx100 and this M1.

I have learned from folks in the know here on SB to send Atomic regs directly to the factory for servicing.

Last edited:
What did it breath like before you changed out the sintered filter? When did you purchase it? How many dives are on it since it was was last serviced? When was the last it time it was fully serviced? have you swapped out the second stage with your Apexs to isolate whether it is the first stage or the second stage?

Now the only thing I can think of that might be causing the problem is external ambient chamber that is filled with christolube may have an air bubble in it that is large enough that prevents the IP from being maintained at depth.

ok here is what i got, atomic m1 just serviced but not the first stage just changed the mesh filter in first stage. When i get past 60ft it breathes like i'm sucking through a straw. I know when i'm past 60ft because the thing breathes like crap.Now when i switch to my apeks xtx100 i don't know what depth i'm at because it breathes the same from top to bottom. Does anybody know if i can send it back to the factory for a complete rebuild of the first stage. Does anybody else have this problem with an atomic M1. It doesn't breath the same from 10ft-100ft at all and i don't know what is going on with this thing but starting to think this is a very infearer reg. Everyone says this is an awesome reg. but i don't see that at all. It is night and day between my xtx100 and this M1.

It needs to be properly serviced. Changing the filter is probably the least important thing you could have had done.

If you paid someone to "service" the first stage then you need to get a refund. If you did it yourself, you need to either learn how to do a complete service job or send it out. Many techs don't like to open up the first stage because it's packed in grease, although it's critical to do exactly this to do a proper service job.

While I'm tempted to go into all the gory details, they're not especially relevant. It needs to be serviced by either a good Atomic service facility or the factory.

Your M1 first stage, when properly serviced will deliver enough air to make you and at least a half-dozen of your buddies happy at any depth you'll ever go to.

While I'm on the subject, don't just send in the first stage. Send in the second stage too. The second stage also requires proper service (it takes more of a beating than the first stage) and they'll need it to ensure that the entire system works as designed.

flots.

Take the filter out of the first stage and try a dive with the reg, just make sure you have a clean tank and it will be fine. $10 says it breathes great, unless the guy that serviced your 2nd stage also did a number on that. All of these comments assume that the reg worked fine before the service.

If you have an IP gauge you can also try something on land to check the filter. Put two high performance 2nds on the atomic first stage, hook up an IP gauge, put it on a full tank, blast both purges and watch the gauge. Then take the filter out of the 1st stage and repeat the test. If the IP drops way more with the filter in place, then there's definitely a restriction there.

Anyhow, the short answer is get the reg looked at by someone competent, or at least bring it back to the guy who did the work and tell him what happened. Either he'll know the stuff we're posting about or he won't, in which case find someone else.

This is yet another example of why I do my own reg service.

I paid a atomic dealer shop for the service and this is what i got. I will not go back because if you can't do it right the first time then why give them a second chance he will just screw it up more. I need to know who i can contact (an email or something) so i can send it back to the factory and get it done right. I private messaged darcyatomic on here but there has been no reply. I don't even know where the filter is,underneath the yoke nut? He changed the washers in the 2nd stage but nothing in the first stage but that mesh filter. Can someone give me an email so i can get the address as to where i can ship this back to? This was the 5th dive after service but has been crapy even since i got it back and told him that but said there is nothing wrong. The yoke nut kept coming lose ever since too so he just messed this thing up and now i don't dive it because it breathes like sh*t.

I have had my Atomic M1's for about 2 years now and they breath awesome at any depth never had an issue. I would have to guess that it's somethign specifically wrong with your unit send it to the factory for them to fix.

Contact Information

If you require any additional information call us Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 5:00 pm.

Atomic Aquatics, Inc.
16742 Burke Lane
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
Phone: (714) 375-1433
Fax: (714) 375-1435

I paid a atomic dealer shop for the service and this is what i got....The yoke nut kept coming lose ever since too so he just messed this thing up and now i don't dive it because it breathes like sh*t.

I'm not too familiar with the specifics of the atomic yoke/filter arrangement, but these things might be related. Maybe when the yoke got loose some bushing or washer or o-ring got mis-aligned in the yoke retainer and is now acting as a restriction. You'd think something like this would accompanied by a monstro-leak, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Definitely contact atomic, send them the reg, and tell them the name of the dealer. Isn't it fantastic that we have dealers like this to save us from killing ourselves by working on our "life support?"

For the yoke the sintered filter is held in place with a retainer. One does not need to remove the yoke assembly to replace it. But given that it is coming loose something seems fubar. If some thing is acting as a restriction in this area it would affect the reg regardless of depth as it on the HP inlet side.

My suggestion would be to go back to the shop that serviced it and let them know it is fubar. Skip talking to the tech and talk to the owner about the fubar. It is important that they know the screwed. If you do not want them to redo it, at least ask for your money back. Then send it off to Atomic (which they are probably playing given that last week was DEMA).

For the yoke the sintered filter is held in place with a retainer. One does not need to remove the yoke assembly to replace it. But given that it is coming loose something seems fubar. If some thing is acting as a restriction in this area it would affect the reg regardless of depth as it on the HP inlet side.

A partial restriction might not be noticeable on the surface or at shallow depths, but at greater depths where the first stage has to flow at a higher rate, the restriction could cause IP to drop far more than normal during inhalation; that would make it breather harder. You hear about this occasionally with tank valves that are mistakenly turned 1/2 turn from off rather than 1/2 turn from full on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom