Atomic m1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlennL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just purchased an atomic m1 din for $300. It was originally purchased in October 2015 and dove with 3 times from what I am told. I am wondering about the "need" to service this reg. Firstly I am assuming the history is accurate. So it hasn't quite been two years for the manufacturers suggested interval and no where near the dive count. It's hard to put a price on peace of mind but I don't want to shell out the additional expense if it's not really necessary. Feedback??

The regulator can take several years without service and still work like new. I'd take it to a local Atomic dealer who has a competent and experienced atomic technician to do a "checkout" (not overhaul) to check its performance (WoB, IP, etc.) to make sure that all is OK and then go out diving like made with it!

My local atomic dealer ships their service work out. They said it was too costly for the training..liability insurance.... etc. I can ship it back myself, but I read somewhere it was like $125 for the service, partly due to the new lube for sealing. where I'm stuck at is I don't really think 3 dives justify the expense of service. What if I bought one nib that was on the shelf for a year and a half, should it still be serviced after the 2 year period? Does the lube have a "shelf life"?

My local atomic dealer ships their service work out. They said it was too costly for the training..liability insurance.... etc. I can ship it back myself, but I read somewhere it was like $125 for the service, partly due to the new lube for sealing. where I'm stuck at is I don't really think 3 dives justify the expense of service. What if I bought one nib that was on the shelf for a year and a half, should it still be serviced after the 2 year period? Does the lube have a "shelf life"?

I didn't say service, just a checkout with an intermediate pressure gauge (inexpensive to buy) and a Magnehelic gauge, something like this that doesn't cost too much:

Dual Pro Stand, 0-3 Magnehelic, IP Gauge, Four SpinOn Adapters

I go 3 - 5 years between servicing for my Atomic regulators that are sealed without any issues at all (and I do a lot of diving with them). If the regulator truly had only 3 dives, a checkout is all is needed. No need for actual overhaul and breaking apart the regulator.

And your local Atomic dealer is full of seahorse manure, it a most basic duty of the local dive shop to have basic tools to do the testing and checking out for the equipment they sell. It won't cost much and it will provide service to the customers. When I owned my dive center in NY, I did a complete checkout on ALL equipment I sold to clients even if it were brand new out of the box. The regulators get checked out using the setup in the link above and all information would be written down in a form with a copy given to the client and the original stays in our service records. There is nothing to it!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom