Atomic Reg noise- anyone encountered this before?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all
Before I start, I do not believe this is the same as the Atomic first stage "whistling issue" that has been discussed many times before!

Last week I used a brand new Atomic B2 for a week of diving in Cozumel, this is the 4th Atomic reg that I have bought over the last ten years and the other three have worked perfectly.
On every dive that I descended past 70 ft depth the second stage started to "rattle" loudly on inhalation. It sounded and felt as though there was water in the demand valve and the air was passing through it, however I tried different attitudes and forceful exhalations to clear it and it made no difference! I think it is something to do with the automatic DFC as it immediately stopped again every time I ascended to shallower than 70 ft.
The only hing I can think of is that the vane in the DFC is fully retracted at 70ft or greater depths and on inhalation the vane is vibrating- but this is pure supposition?

The reg was in standard configuration except for a Seacure mouthpiece that I use on all my regs.

Air flow was not affected and I do not believe there was any danger of reg failure but obviously it was less than ideal.
I have searched but can find no reference to this problem and the Atomic rep I emailed said he had never heard of it, am I the first to have this issue or has anyone else out there had a similar experience?

Cheers
RR

You mean the AFC?? If you think it is the AFC take it apart ... Perhaps something got lodge in there. I have taken a part many a second stage that looked pretty clean only to find the AFC full of sand and other crap.

Last edited:
Sounds like you should get the AFC looked at...maybe it's only partly retracting?

Sounds like you should get the AFC looked at...maybe it's only partly retracting?

Yes I agree, I'll get it checked this week and I stand corrected on the acronym- it should be AFC not DFC!!
Regarding sand in the reg, it was brand new and did it on the first boat dive so maybe not sand but possibly some debri left over from the production/assembly process may be in there?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

It is pretty easy to remove the AFC cover without a special tool. When you take it off the chamber will be very clean. That is not where they issue will be. Remove the purge cover, diaphragm, and then gently push the AFC lever out. Once out that is where you might find some debris.

Don't take anything apart if you have changed mouthpieces or find yourself obstructing air flow through bites on the mouthpiece.
If you restrict the air coming through the regulator 2nd stage it can get weird.

If I understand this correctly- you are saying that the problem could be caused by the Seacure mouthpiece restricting the airflow from the second stage?

I've been using Seacures on all my regs over the years, including 2 Atomics (M1 and T2) and I've never had Seacures negatively impact the performance of any of them.

The only hing I can think of is that the vane in the DFC is fully retracted at 70ft or greater depths and on inhalation the vane is vibrating- but this is pure supposition?

The reg was in standard configuration except for a Seacure mouthpiece that I use on all my regs.

Air flow was not affected and I do not believe there was any danger of reg failure but obviously it was less than ideal.
I have searched but can find no reference to this problem and the Atomic rep I emailed said he had never heard of it, am I the first to have this issue or has anyone else out there had a similar experience?

It has nothing to do with the seacure mouthpiece (assuming you're using the right size and didn't crack the housing while installing it), however your reg shouldn't make that noise underwater and does need service, or possibly just cleaning..

If you have good, authorized Atomic service locally, you can use that, however if not, you can send it back to the factory for service and the techs there are awesome.

If you want to try to DIY before taking it in, you can attach the reg to a tank and give it a good long soak and then a rinse in clean, fresh water and see if that fixes it.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom