Atomic Regulator First Stage - Improper Machining or Warped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouvea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello All:

I bought an Atomic B2 regulator from Ebay. Decided to service it prior to use. In my haste I didn't really check its operation and just diassembled the unit.

While I disassembled the first stage. I noticed that the monel seal retainer in the piston bore chamber was extremely difficult to remove. Usually the piston insertion guide tool, when pushed in reverse, removes the monel seal retainer, the piston o-ring and the ceramic/teflon washer. Had to use a lot of force with the a plastic tool to push the monel seal retainer from the bore. I thought the seal was warped so I replaced it. To my surprise, the seal would not go into the bore with excess force (I have several so I tried a couple with the same result).

The monel seal is difficult to push in/out along the entire length of the bore, so I'm guessing the machining of the chamber is not correct. I did reassemble it (waste of a service kit). It breathes worse than an old rental Sherwood Brut... Second owner, so no warranty and I'm out of luck. Not a problem. Realize and accept that when I buy used stuff.

Anyone run into this before? Any possible ideas on how to fix it? Can it be fixed?

I doubt the machining is bad but with the right tools than can be checked, there was a batch with bad plating t or so years ago, but I think That was mostly cosmetic exterior loss. The easiest way to fix it is to hunt down a cheap Z2 and use that body to replace this one.

Did ya ultrasonic clean it before you reassembled it? While it might look clean there could be enough of a film of deposits from being flooded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom