Atomic Split Fins vs. Scubapro Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradshsi:
Personal trials are useful (to see what fin works best for you), but for a true scientific test with multiple divers check out:

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/grier/fins.html

It has a comparison of many fins plus some discussions on kick technique etc. Bottom line they found that split fins tend to be faster (and have lower air consumption) than paddle fins.

But fins are very personal choice so it still comes down to what works best for you with your gear configuration.
Thanks - This guy did much more thorough tests than I did, although I think he needs a good editor - sometimes it was hard to understand his results.

I think human testing is better because we can make minute adjustments to our kicks to get the most power out of the fin. FYI - I've had my Atomics for years and the Jet Fins are a recent acquisiton, so I didn't have any bias. I still plan to use my Atomics in tropical locations.

Since your results are oposite the results obtained by people like Scuba Diving Mag, you should retest, retest, retest.

I have the new Atomic splits and LOVE them. MUCH better than paddle fins.Ive been diving with paddle fins for almost about 150 dives. just switch to my split fins , the diffence is huge!!

The problem with splits is that the dive industry has now adopted the stance of "everyone can dive." If you're terribly out of shape, you shouldn't be diving, period. But since this new attitude has come into play, the equipment companies are out to make sure that everyone can dive...
Thus they come up with the split fin. It's "easier" to use because there's essentially a hole down the middle of the fin that gives, every time you kick. You don't have to kick as hard , so people who aren't in shape can kick easier. Unfortunately this results in less control over your kicking, and in many cases (since they're not great for a frog kick) results in large silt clouds from flutter kicking and stirring up the bottom. I've been behind many divers who don't realize they're leaving a large silt trail as they speed off 2 feet off the bottom flutter kicking.
Also remember that they're essentially useless for proper backwards kicking and helicopter turns...

At NCSU where I took scuba they performed a test between SP Jets and Twin-Jets. Same diver--took twice as many kick cycles to get across a 25-yard pool with the Twin-Jets than with the standard Jetfins.

I have never owned splits as I don't see spending $150+ on fins. I have owned a pair of Cressi frogs before, but since buying my Jetfins I haven't looked back. :)

Edit:
Don Janni:
Since your results are oposite the results obtained by people like Scuba Diving Mag, you should retest, retest, retest.
I pretty much don't trust anything in magazines like that. I've seen some dangerous things in magazines such as that--an example being tips for making your gas last longer. They were practically advocating skip breathing!

herman:
... and it's not because they are pretty or cool.

Says you!!!

Tried the numbers into the stats software for anova and means comparison test.
1. 2/24/06 data are not statistically different.
2. 3/06/06 data between jet fin & splits are statistically different.
3. Aqualung & jet fin data are not statistically different.

No conclusion can be derived from this. You need a good design of experiment for meaningful results.

I wounldn't disagree with Timotheus cus I personally know of an instructor who can kick ***** on every fin out there using a jet fin. Either that or he really sucks on using every other fin LOL!

Fins are really personal and the better you get at using that one fin the more likely you are to feeing pore confident and it may even make you faster as you are more likely to use that fin with a proper technique.

SangP

Timotheus:
For the situations where you need maximum thrust with full scuba gear, I'm fairly certain the Jet Fins would deliver more power. It would be interesting to test that option someday.

In Divernet tests the SP XL Jets produced 14.5-15.5kg of thrust compared to Apollo Bio-fin Pro's 16.4-16.8kg (top preformer in that test). Pro Force fins clocked in 15-16.4kg. Atomics weren't in the test. For comparison, the worst performers produced 10.9kg of thrust (Saekodive Aquapower fins).

link: http://www.divernet.com/gear/fins999/fins999.htm
table: http://www.divernet.com/gear/fins999/fintab999.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom