Atomic Subframe ARC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've visited my LDS and tried the Atomic subframe on. It's a great fit and I like the way it looks. In researching the mask I see that the mask is offered with an anti reflective coating (ARC). Is there much of a difference between the ARC and regular sub frame lens. I really like Atomics Customer service and rep for quality. I have a B2 regulator and love it.

I've visited my LDS and tried the Atomic subframe on. It's a great fit and I like the way it looks. In researching the mask I see that the mask is offered with an anti reflective coating (ARC). Is there much of a difference between the ARC and regular sub frame lens. I really like Atomics Customer service and rep for quality. I have a B2 regulator and love it.

I can't comment specifically on the ARC that Atomic puts on their masks but the ARC that LensCrafters puts on their eye glasses is terrible. The ARC is somewhat porous and made it impossible to get the glasses totally clean. I thought it was me until my optometrist explained that the porosity of the coating is the source of the problem.

It is NOT worth the extra money for the ARC. Most likely you will never encounter a light source extreme enough to notice the difference. Furthermore, since the coating are porous they are also very fragile and most likely cause a problem sooner rather than later. I had worked with these coatings for 15 years and have seen all of their limitations and flaws. Don't spend the extra money.

I can't comment specifically on the ARC that Atomic puts on their masks but the ARC that LensCrafters puts on their eye glasses is terrible. The ARC is somewhat porous and made it impossible to get the glasses totally clean. I thought it was me until my optometrist explained that the porosity of the coating is the source of the problem.

Your issue is with Lenscrafters' choice of "crappy-glasses-in-about-an-hour" material and processes, not ARC overall.

:cool2:

What the Anti-Reflective Coating is - is a metal oxide coating process that is applied to both sides of the lens. Standard mask "glass" allows about 86% of light through to the mask. When you have the Atomic Ultra Clear optical lens (standard on all Atomic masks) along with the ARC coating you're now getting about 96-98% of light through. So bascially the coating allows more light through, giving you crisper, clearer vision without the glare that would normally come with the extra light allowance.
Please feel free to email me with any questions or concerns on this or any Atomic product.
Cheeers,
Darcy
Atomic Aquatics

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom