Atomic Venom Frameless Alternative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will give it a go. Looks like a Cressi F1 and a Dive Rite ES155, btw. I imagine it is sold under a few names.

Picked up a DGX Sharp Cut to try out while I'm at it. Thanks to all who replied.

Last edited:
Thought I'd do a follow up post on my mask experience. I was able to get my hands on both the Atomic Frameless 2 (msrp $199) and the DGX Ultra View Frameless ($25). I spent an hour in the pool with them this evening swimming laps with mask/fins/snorkel, then about another hour diving, equalizing, clearing, removing and putting back on, etc.

Similarities:
Both have nice soft seals and a lot of glass to look through.
Both fold up pretty small to fit in your pocket for a spare.
Peripheral and vertical views were very nice on both masks.
I couldn't tell any difference in the expensive glass of the Atomic and DGX in the evening shaded pool. YMMV in less clear water.
Both sealed exceptionally well for me.

Differences:
I saw a little more of the black nose pocket with the DGX than I did with the Frameless 2, but not enough to annoy the hell out of me and darn near make me cross-eyed like the Atomic Venom I tried the other day.
When I tried the DGX on, it felt like it might leak at my temples, but when I got in the water, the pod bay doors slammed shut and kept the water out.
The DGX felt a little wider than the Frameless 2 (regular size), but both still sealed very well.
The Atomic came in a small hard case. I had to fiddle with the mask to get it stuffed in and snapped shut.
DGX came in a double mesh bag. Inside is fine mesh, outside is course mesh, closes with a drawstring.
There is no branding on the DGX. It's probably sold as other brands, but DGX seems to be a great place.
The DGX only cost $25. :wink:

Negatives:
I had only two negatives. Both went to the expensive Atomic. Obviously, the price tag is the first negative. The other negative came whenever I cleared the mask. Water shot up from the nose pocket into my eyes like a squirt gun. It also happened when I gave the slightest puff to get rid of mask squeeze. I played with the strap tension. I fooled with head angle. I pressed down and/or lifted on the mask in different ways. After fooling around for a while, I found that I could clear the mask without getting squirted in the eye by more or less shoving it down over the bridge of my nose and pulling out a little at the bottom. I still had to crank my head back much farther than any other mask I've ever used to get most of the water out. I couldn't get that last bit of water out of the nose pocket, which normally doesn't matter at all to me. In fact, I normally like to leave a little water in the mask to clear the fog. However, in this case it means that I still get a squirt of water in the eye when compensating for mask squeeze. I didn't have any trouble at all clearing the DGX mask and I didn't have to go vertical and look to the heavens to do so.

I wholeheartedly recommend the DGX Ultra View Frameless if it fits you as well as it did me.

The Atomic Frameless 2's fit and finish is excellent. It's a good looking mask if that means something to you. If it fits around your nose where you won't get squirted in the eye and you can find it 50% or more off msrp, then I would recommend it too...but only if it fits you better than the DGX!

I asked Keith at DGX a couple weeks ago what would be a good backup mask and he recommended the ultra clear frameless. I figured for $25 can't go wrong. Keith was mistaken though. The DGX is my primary and fits nicely in my Cressi box, and the Cressi fits nicely in the mesh sack in my DGX gear shorts pocket. Thank you Keith!

At the recommendation of this thread, I picked up the DGX mask and I'm completely blown away. It makes me mad about every previous mask purchase that I've made for more than $25. I also picked up their compass and it works awesome, especially for $35 I think it was.

DGE is quickly becoming my go to retailer. Awesome affordable masks, all parts for my Poseidon xstreams, good quality low priced bpw set ups, and always great customer service with fast shipping!

DGE is quickly becoming my go to retailer. Awesome affordable masks, all parts for my Poseidon xstreams, good quality low priced bpw set ups, and always great customer service with fast shipping!

Agreed. I also bought one of their SPG's a while back and it broke the first time I pressurized it. I sent an email and they shipped another one out that same day and didn't even bother having me ship it back. Great customer service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom