Atomic vs SP...yea i know...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDMerk

Contributor
Reaction score
I know this comes up from time to time. But i'm getting ready to buy my first *new* regulator and decided to get an Atomic Z2 (7 port enviro sealed).

Originally i was leaning toward the M1 and considering SP mk25 and mk17's with various second stages. I decided on the Z2 sealed because its essentially the same design as the m1 which is the same as the b2 which is the same as the t2...they are all the same regulators only they are made from different materials, they all preform the same though and the z2 is much cheaper.

Anyway the question is...In what way(if any) is the SP mk17/s600 combo superior to a sealed Z2? The Atomic is actually cheaper and I have heard nothing but raves about this rig, it seems almost perfect...?

i have the m1's and am very happy with them
I also have a ST1 second stage that was a gift and it breathes like a champ as well.

Originally i was leaning toward the M1 and considering SP mk25 and mk17's with various second stages. I decided on the Z2 sealed because its essentially the same design as the m1 which is the same as the b2 which is the same as the t2...they are all the same regulators only they are made from different materials, they all preform the same though and the z2 is much cheaper.

I own 2 M1s, a Z1 and an SCUBAPro Mk25 G250V.

I use the SCUBAPro for classes and pool sessions and in warm water on vacation, but use the Atomics for everything else. They're engineered (designed) better, built better and have more metal parts inside.

You won't be sorry.

Terry

One is a piston and one is a diaphragm 1st stage. If that doesn't mean anything to you, then buy the Atomic. The Z2 has different hose routing than the MK17 too.

The Atomic 2nd has an automatic venturi which most people like. It reality, both are more than you will ever need for rec diving. Some people decide based on how they like the feel of the 2nd stage. I prefer the Atomic but wouldn't complain if someone have me a SP.

I think Atomic wins in customer service and responsiveness.

SP has a parts plan if you buy from a dealer and get it services every year. Atomic only specifies service every other year, which I think is easier for the customer and probably a little cheaper too.

One is a piston and one is a diaphragm 1st stage. If that doesn't mean anything to you, then buy the Atomic.

To me the Diaphragm/Piston issue is a wash as long as they are both environmentally sealed...which these both are. That was my primary reason for excluding the mk25.

I habe heard that Atomic charges for parts at the service interval, even under warranty. Is this true? (Own Atmic but it is all rental so no warranty parts for me)

Yes, but SP recommends service every year while Atomic recommends service every 2 years. Do the math (each year w/o parts vs every other year with parts) and Atomic is still cheaper to service at most shops.

Atomic dealerships are comparatively few and far between while SP service is available world wide.

Otherwise, both are fine regs and the differences come down to the general layout and hose routing options.

The "Mk 17 has more plastic parts comment is interesting", maybe even inflamatory but is meaningless. There are some plastic parts in the Mk 17, but none of them would imporve the reg if they were made out of metal. Some of them, if made from metal, would just add mass and reduce response time decreasing the perormance of the reg.

The "Mk 17 has more plastic parts comment is interesting", maybe even inflamatory but is meaningless. There are some plastic parts in the Mk 17, but none of them would imporve the reg if they were made out of metal. Some of them, if made from metal, would just add mass and reduce response time decreasing the perormance of the reg.

The mk17 is a fine regulator, I trained on them. However I believe the rational behind people wanting more metal arts over plastic is due to the comparatively high specific heat of plastic and the greater heat capacity of metal. The plastic will cool much faster than metal and promote ice formation. This might be particularly important on say...an inlet tube, which is in direct contact with the expanding air.

Metal is also stronger than plastic, but i think this is a moot point in its application in regulators.

At any rate I don't think the specific heat issue will matter much until you are on the very cusp of what the regulator is capable of. I for one will never dive in water below 45...probably never 50, so i personally don't care.

At any rate I don't think the specific heat issue will matter much until you are on the very cusp of what the regulator is capable of. I for one will never dive in water below 45...probably never 50, so i personally don't care.

We're in cold water most of the year here (it won't hit 40 degrees for another few months and won't hit 70 until maybe August), so I'll take any help I can get in the "heat transfer" area. That's one reason I use the sealed Atomics for most of my diving.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom