Atomic vs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking at purchasing a new set of regs for cold water diving. Currently have an older set of Atomic 1st and 2nd B2. Looking at brand new Apeks. I'm usually found at 120-150 FSW. Atomics work great. Just can't decide on a really good deal on Apeks DS4/AT40 or an ok deal of Apeks DST/XTX50.
reason for changing is due to no parts warranty on Atomic( never kept receipt and original shop no longer in business) vs new parts for life on Apeks

I'm looking at purchasing a new set of regs for cold water diving. Currently have an older set of Atomic 1st and 2nd B2. Looking at brand new Apeks. I'm usually found at 120-150 FSW. Atomics work great. Just can't decide on a really good deal on Apeks DS4/AT40 or an ok deal of Apeks DST/XTX50.
reason for changing is due to no parts warranty on Atomic( never kept receipt and original shop no longer in business) vs new parts for life on Apeks
If you mean by parts warranty Atomic never had a free parts for life warranty.

Yes, servicing adds up when I have 2 sets for when I dive doubles. Hence changing up for the parts warranty advantage.

Pretty much every thing Atomics is just like everything Atomic, since going to the jet seat (2002~) it’s all the same, getting some of the parts is slower now but a kit for a first stage is the same across the range, same with the second stage kits which is all you are likely to ever need.

Switching to a diaphragm type of reg is another discussion.

no parts warranty on Atomic

Do you mean the service kits or just parts in general? Atomic actually has a great warranty on parts.

Without proof of being original owner, I have to pay for all parts included within the service kits for 2x1st stages and 2x2nd stages
If you service when it’s needed and not on an arbitrary schedule even having to pay for kits will save you money.

A couple of points:
1. It looks like Atomic has a service interval of 2 years and Apeks specifies 1 year (inspection one year, overhaul the next), so I'm not sure that the Apeks will be cheaper for service depending on how much your dealer charges for the inspection.
2. To clarify for others reading, Atomics does not have a "free parts for life" program and I don't think they have ever had one.
3. When I read the stipulations of the "Free Parts For Life" for Apeks, they say that if you miss an inspection or overhaul interval, then the program is no longer available for that regulator. They specify that the service must be documented in the owners manual. For me, that kind of limitation makes the "Free Parts for Life" program pretty much useless.

I do my own service for the family regulators, so I'm out of the loop on how much dealers charge for service kits. I thought they were about $30 each. For the Atomics that would be $120/2 years. If you take how much you would spend on the Apeks and divide it by the $60/year savings on service kits that would tell you how many years it would take diving the Apeks to make back the purchase cost. If the bi-annual inspections for the Apeks aren't free, then subtract those from the parts cost savings.

If you could share your actual costs then we might be able to do the numbers more precisely.

Brian

As folks have said Atomic Aquatic has never had a free parts program. And while some mfg like ScubaPro and now it seems Apeks (via AquaLung) the general agreement is that such programs are not really cost savings simply because regulators, in general do not need to be serviced that frequently because they are not used that much.

FWIW Atomics regs are easy to work on. For half the cost of a reg or so one can purchase the necessary tools and do their own servicing. That will pay off quicker. And service kits can be found from places like NESS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom