Atomic Z1 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have had this reg for about 5 years know and love it. Just had it services and used it last week down on Grand Turk. I have always in the past turned the little knob by the mouth piece to open all the way. On this trip I noticed I had to keep backing it down as I was diving. In between breaths I may hold my breath for about 10 seconds. With it all the way open I had air come out of the reg until I turned the knob back down. It then would stop. During the dive I would have to turn it down several times.

Question 1: What is this knob for?
Question 2:
Did the shop not adjust it right becuse I have to keep turning it down?

Others wise it works great.
Thanks
Dave

It is for small adjustment in the cracking effort. It sounds like the reg cracks a bit too easily so turning the adjustment down increases the effort. My guess is that who every serviced it did not test the cracking effort (typically done with a magnahelic gauge to obtain a reading of 1-1.4" of water).

How too fix it (aside from taking it back to the shop).

From Atomic:

The adjustment knob should be unscrewed to its full outer position. (Easiest Breathing) Remove the the knob, Insert 1/8” hex wrench into shaft. Screw the spring adjusting pad in or out with a 1/8” hex wrench until a cracking effort of approximately 1.0-1.4” is achieved, as measured with a magnahelic gauge. Water test to verify there are no air leaks.

If the cracking effort is set too low the regulator may free flow once submerged in the inverted position. This test can also be used if a magnahelic gauge is not available or to test the integrity of the exhaust valve. Cover and seal the mouthpiece tightly with your fingers and set the 2nd Stage underwater, with the exhaust valve up. If a stream of bubbles are detected, screw the spring pad in with a hex wrench, to increase the cracking effort until air no longer streams out the exhaust valve.

According to Atomic normally you should dive with the knob turned counterclockwise for min cracking pressure. So the shop must not have set it right.

Compared to my old Oceanic the Atomic has a very narrow range of adjustment, and on top of that it has no manual predive switch. So proper shop adjustment is more critical.

Adam

thanks guys. SOunds like an easy fix but I will most likely take it back to the shop as I don't have a tank to hook it up to.
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom