Attaching an SMB to a backplate, has anyone used one of those mesh bags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ekremer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I have not been happy with trying to find an easy to use attachment point for my smb to my backplate. I want something that will really stop it from flopping around. I found these at the bottom of the page, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them, good or bad.

Thanks,

https://www.divegearexpress.com/tools/liftbags.shtml
XS_AC080_1-640.jpg

I have one and use it to store a large 6' SMB. Due to the size of the rolled up SMB and the space available in that mesh bag, re-stowing the SMB while wearing my wing is near impossible. If you use this bag and mount it at the bottom of your plate, use it for items that are easy to re-stow. Food for thought anyway.

EDIT

I will not replace this bag if given the opportunity. For me, it is not the right solution. YMMV

Hi all,

I have not been happy with trying to find an easy to use attachment point for my smb to my backplate. I want something that will really stop it from flopping around. I found these at the bottom of the page, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them, good or bad.

Thanks,

https://www.divegearexpress.com/tools/liftbags.shtml
View attachment 144362

Love mine (similar style).... No, re-stowing is not easy, but access works for me, and it is never in my way (mine is mounted horizontal on the bottom of my plate). I use a 1m DSS SMB, and a 100' cold water spool, and have had a 150' spool in there, but it was a little tougher to extract. The one I have has a draw cord for closure.

I use one, attached to the bottom edge of my backplate with stainless steel quicklinks. Have SMB, a deployment strap, and a spare light inside. As my left arm is typically free, and works better, I make sure the opening is to that side.

If I deploy the SMB, which is rare, I don't bother putting it away until I am on the boat. I see no reason to try doing so in the water.

If you really want ease of access, you might consider attaching a bag as a chest mount, then you could use this or a zipper bag. I use a zipper bag mounted this way to hold all my loose gear, knife, shears, light, strobe, spare compass, etc. Just takes two clips, attached to front d-rings. One is permanent, and the other clips across as I'm suiting up. The dive nazis will probably say that this prevents easy removal of your gear from your [probably dead] body. Prior to using a backpIate, I used a chest strap configuration under my BC.

I follow the WFM rule, "Works For Me".

With that, it looks like you would be trading a flopping SMB for a flopping bag with a SMB inside it. You might consider finding a storage pak option that attached across the surface of the BP and stows the SMB inside there, securely between the BP and your back. I use these with my plates and can generally stow the SMB back inside it while in the water if I need to, though smaller SMBs have a tendancy to fall free of the pak when climbing the ladder (SMB clips to the butt d-ring so it's not going anywhere, but I do find it annoying).

Alternatively, get and use a leg pocket. When I dive dry, that's where the spool and SMB go.

I use one but mine is the Dive Rite brand. Restowing is a biatch but since I almost always have slung bottle I don't bother to restow after deploying. Just roll up and stick under one of the hose retaining straps on the stage or if no stage, shove it in a pocket. All of my suits have thigh pockets.

I have one of these exact pouches. Actually, all three of my backplates have them. I stow a 50 lb yellow (help me) liftbag in them.

DoublesSmall.jpg

It is totally transparent in use. I don't even know it's there, it doesn't flop around, it's not uncomfortable (don't even feel it), and it doesn't change the fit of my harness. It's never opened accidentally.

When you do need to use the lift bag, a pull on the little tab sticking out the side of the pouch (this is the webbing on the bottom of the bag) pulls the bag out easy as pie.

The only downside is that once the liftbag is pulled out, it's staying out. It's impossible to re-stow. But given what might have made me pull out a yellow bag to begin with, I will have bigger problems to deal with, anyway.

Mine are held on with zip ties. If I had some ambition I'd get some sex bolts for it, but somehow it's been easier to replace the zipties occasionally when they get brittle and break. :wink:

All the best, James

I have one of them, by Dive Rite I believe. Use it for my lift bag. SMB is stored above that, in a pouch that serves as my backplate pad (Halcyon).

Love both of them!

With that, it looks like you would be trading a flopping SMB for a flopping bag with a SMB inside it.
Doesn't happen. It's attached at two points, the weight keeps it against the body, I stay in horizontal position, and don't even notice it whilst diving.
As I mentioned, it Works For Me. Cannot comment on others.

---------- Post added January 9th, 2013 at 01:34 PM ----------

Same here. I just use links for the attach for it's easy to remove for travel, less trouble than sex bolts, though such or wire ties would cut down on movement and make it feel a bit more integrated.

I have one of these exact pouches. Actually, all three of my backplates have them. I stow a 50 lb yellow (help me) liftbag in them.

DoublesSmall.jpg

It is totally transparent in use. I don't even know it's there, it doesn't flop around, it's not uncomfortable (don't even feel it), and it doesn't change the fit of my harness. It's never opened accidentally.

When you do need to use the lift bag, a pull on the little tab sticking out the side of the pouch (this is the webbing on the bottom of the bag) pulls the bag out easy as pie.

The only downside is that once the liftbag is pulled out, it's staying out. It's impossible to re-stow. But given what might have made me pull out a yellow bag to begin with, I will have bigger problems to deal with, anyway.

Mine are held on with zip ties. If I had some ambition I'd get some sex bolts for it, but somehow it's been easier to replace the zipties occasionally when they get brittle and break. :wink:

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom