Attaching BC Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coffeyman

Registered
Reaction score
Hey gang I have a small 6" BC knife as part of my limited equipment but I would like to carry it when I head to Cozumel in April. It has a more solid mounting setup on the sheath that involves screws, but since I will be using a rented BC is their a way to attach it quickly and easily to the dive shops BC?

LDS told me to bring small zip ties and just zip it to the BC and cut them off at the end of the day. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Coffeyman:
Hey gang I have a small 6" BC knife as part of my limited equipment but I would like to carry it when I head to Cozumel in April. It has a more solid mounting setup on the sheath that involves screws, but since I will be using a rented BC is their a way to attach it quickly and easily to the dive shops BC?

LDS told me to bring small zip ties and just zip it to the BC and cut them off at the end of the day. Any other ideas?

Thanks
I agree with the zips, unless you are diving multiple days and they'll keep you on the same rental BC. Then it would be worth the 30 secs. to screw it on.

Electrical tape works fine also. Tape your knife to the back of your gage console.
It is easy to apply, it's a sturdy set-up, it will stay on your console for years if you want and you can slice it off in about a minute.

I found some stretchy velcro straps at my local Home Depot and shortened them down to an appropriate length (one end of the strap has the loop part of the velcro and the other end has the plastic teeth\hook part). I was able to thread the strap through the slots on the sheath, stretch the velcro around the inflator hose of the BC, and then secure the two ends together. It works great, and I can move the knife from one BC to the other in under a minute.

Loiret:
I found some stretchy velcro straps at my local Home Depot and shortened them down to an appropriate length (one end of the strap has the loop part of the velcro and the other end has the plastic teeth\hook part). I was able to thread the strap through the slots on the sheath, stretch the velcro around the inflator hose of the BC, and then secure the two ends together. It works great, and I can move the knife from one BC to the other in under a minute.

Hey that is a great idea. I am going to look for the velcro and if I can't find that go with the zips. Thanks for all of your responses.

Kind of surprised someone didn't bring this up already. I thought that the knife was sort of frowned on in Coz, what with the national marine park, etc. In fact, I have seen some advice that indicates gloves are not approved of to keep folks from putting their hands on things. Some advice does tend to go overboard and I've only been once, so certainly not an expert.

scububa:
Kind of surprised someone didn't bring this up already. I thought that the knife was sort of frowned on in Coz, what with the national marine park, etc. In fact, I have seen some advice that indicates gloves are not approved of to keep folks from putting their hands on things. Some advice does tend to go overboard and I've only been once, so certainly not an expert.

This is my first trip to Coz so I don't know. I certainly hope they allow gloves - not a huge deal if I cannot carry my knife I guess.

Anyone have any other info on this? Thanks.

Just got back last month. if you are diving in the mairne park there is a no gloves no knife policy. you can bring it with you, but you may not be able to use it.

Back
Top Bottom