Attaching SPG ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roydude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Seeking some input on yet another setup adjustment in my ocd quest to be as streamlined as a ping-pong ball ... :dork2:

I've tried a few different locations for my SPG over the years. What I don't like is:
1. Having it 'dangle' while I'm horizontal (with my camera I'm often cruising very close to the bottom - rocks etc... and I don't like my SPG to be the first thing that would tap a rock if I got too close :no:).
2. A connection that takes two hands to remove it, view it, then re-connect it again (I used to have that with a bungee attachment - it can be a pain if you need to check whilst holding something ... or someone else).

SO ... finally my question: I just tried clipping it to the bum d-ring of my crotch strap and it seems perfect ... ish. The only real drawback is that it's also where I clip my dsmb and I quite liked that fact that nothing else was there. But I love the lack of clutter on the front now, and it's nowhere near dangling when I'm horizontal. Can any of you think of a reason this would be a terrible place for an SPG?

It sounds like you're using a BP/W. What's wrong with the left D-ring on your belt.

Tie a bolt-snap to the SPG, clip and un-clip with one hand

Unless you're out of trim and/or have a bunch of stages on the left side, you won't need to unclip the SPG to read it when clipped off to the left hip. Should be as simple as looking back at it.

I did try that (as far as I can I usually start close to hog/dir then faff from there if need be). The problem I had with that is that, as a wee chap, the hose is too long sticks way out to the side when I'm horizontal - I got fed up of constantly having to move it when it went over my arm (if you see what I mean - my arm kept going through the loop of the hose sticking out to the side).

---------- Post Merged at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Should be as simple as looking back at it.

I try to avoid twisting my head much in my drysuit (my neoprene neck seal's lovely, but leaks when I look too far down!).

Are you sure you have the right length of HP hose for your SPG? I'm not very big and I use a 26" HP hose and it sits pretty tight to my rig when clipped off.

get the correct length hose, or run that one over your shoulder, under the shoulder strap where it goes just past your ribs, under the chest strap. then clip to left hip ring. this will keep the excess hose from flaring out.

Ok, so you need a shorter HP hose and a neck seal that doesn't restrict your head movement.

All well and good, but knowing my track-record with the Spainish postal system it'll probably take 3 months to get a shorter hp hose (and I'm not changing my lovely neck seal just to avoid a little dribble of water if I look at my spg without unclipping it :) ).

So ... in the meantime, is there a big advantage clipping/un-clipping the spg from the side instead of behind? Or more to the point, is there a big disadvantage to having it behind?

If you can easily reach it there, I can't see any issue with it. It would be a real problem if you needed to butt-clip reels or deco bottles, but if you aren't doing that, the only downside I see is that you can't see it at all unless you can get it loose. A proper sized hose is a better answer, but yours may be a quite reasonable stop-gap.

If you can easily reach it there, I can't see any issue with it. It would be a real problem if you needed to butt-clip reels or deco bottles, but if you aren't doing that, the only downside I see is that you can't see it at all unless you can get it loose. A proper sized hose is a better answer, but yours may be a quite reasonable stop-gap.

Mmm ... deco bottles are in my future, so maybe I'd be best to get my config 'future proof' while I'm changing this. Maybe I'll butt-clip it for now until a shorter hose arrives then use the side d-ring.

Back
Top Bottom