attempt a world record ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find your tone rather disrespectful and this is not the forum for that stuff. Why should it be original, isn't 72 hours underwater on itself a challenge enough? I would call anyone that tries that brave and completely out of his mind (in a good way). Not to mention giving the money to charity. I hope the OP gets it done.

Ps: my tip take more then 1 tank with you (unless you have gills ofcourse)

Jord
There was nothing disrespectful about my post. It was just straight and to the point. If you haven't read about the recent attempt and current record you might want to look into that. The point is that HE isn't going to be doing it anyway. HE and about 30 other people will be doing it. As far as this going to charity that's all fine and great. As someone with a terminal illness I can probably relate more than yourself... It all just seems rather just done and stolen as an idea to me. It takes away from the people who just did it. But that's just my opinion.

There was nothing disrespectful about my post. It was just straight and to the point. If you haven't read about the recent attempt and current record you might want to look into that. The point is that HE isn't going to be doing it anyway. HE and about 30 other people will be doing it. As far as this going to charity that's all fine and great. As someone with a terminal illness I can probably relate more than yourself... It all just seems rather just done and stolen as an idea to me. It takes away from the people who just did it. But that's just my opinion.

I am sorry to hear about your condition and conclude that I may have spoken to quickly. I sometimes just feel like someone is angry mostly at me. That's what a depression does :(
I'm sorry for my (counter)-attack.

Jord

I am sorry to hear about your condition and conclude that I may have spoken to quickly. I sometimes just feel like someone is angry mostly at me. That's what a depression does :(
I'm sorry for my (counter)-attack.

Jord
No need to apologize. I was just thinking out loud and probably should have just kept my mouth shut. Sorry to hear about your depression. Hopefully you can find some meds that work well. I finally did for my anxiety and it's a night and day difference. I don't know how I got through the last 20 years without them.

I don't think the idea is all that unoriginal....and quite honestly I have been pondering this for over a year and could care less if crass thinks its worth doing or not .

As far as why a livaboard???? Because it would solve a lot of the logistical problems associated with accomplishing the task. Things like having an on board compressor, berthing spaces and kitchen for the support crew, the capability to store a lot of O2, comms support, power generating capabilities for satellite broadcast system so that I can live stream the whole process and power for underwater lighting. The list goes on. As far as backgas, I would use a few sets of doubles( back mount) and change them out as needed.

As far as gas quantity needed for the dive, 4000 cuft is a more accurate number. Mind you that is still an astronomical number, and when you consider gas requirements for the support divers that number increases substantially.

Last edited:
Get a TV station on board, has to be more interesting than the Cardashians. natgeo or something. sell it, and they will come :) I think the logistics are not so daunting, but you could simulate all sorts of problems for the video, OH my god he could die if we do not get this tank down to him and we are running out of time to get the compressor fixed..... if you need a writer to help with script I would love to. oh and a cameo by john and ritchie. and maybe even invite the cardashians, it could not hurt to help raise money.

You will also need a full face mask, as with that you can sleep.

We can sleep without a FFM, been doing it for nearly two decades.
I will agree, 4000cu' is more accurate. So like 15 sets of steel doubles.
I too would do it from shore. It would suck to lose your attempt at the record when the boat's compressor dies and you have no backup. You don't need a compressor on sight, just a bunch of tanks. Have 7 sets being filled while 7 sets or being used, or something like that. Just need a good crew that can make runs to the closest/reliable shop. Or have 15 sets of doubles :)

Why do this at 40 feet. Six metres, 20 feet or less works fine and gas and decompression logistics are somewhat easier.

I agree.

The 40' is max depth. Most attempts at this type of dive are at 15 ft to avoid the need for deco, however I'm trying to be somewhat original here. I figure after day 2 I can begin in water desaturation....but the more I think about it, that leaves me completely boned should the attempt need to be aborted.

I guess you would have to actually be in the water, since a 4 day stay in the underwater hotel would not really be all that special to watch on TV. LOL

Oh and BTW it is possible to stay awake for lots of hours, we stayed mostly awake for a week once, about 1-2 hours, every now and then, you have to stay very busy at night. at least you will not have to worry about getting comfortable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom