Attending DIR-F ... and how to say it...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
One thing I found interesting was how MHK made it clear that DIR is not pronounced "Der" or "Dur", I still catch myself saying that when reading posts on this forum or literature. He reminded all of us that it is an Acronym and as such each letter is mentioned D-I-R.

Just funny how sometimes our brains start habits we can't easily quit.

I know. Amongst my circle of friends, many of whom I consider quite "DIR Friendly" we pronounce DIR-F as "derf." After all, it's spelled like Dirt, so it would be pronounced as dirt. But I have never considered it as a derogatory term.

DiverBuoy:
He reminded all of us that it is an Acronym and as such each letter is mentioned D-I-R.

Since when?

Do you say RAM or R-A-M?
NASA or N-A-S-A?
Noah or N-O-A-A?
ASAP or A-S-A-P?
M-Peg or M-P-E-G?
Laser or L-A-S-E-R?
Are you a P-A-D-I/N-A-U-I/etc trained S-C-U-B-A diver?

For the most part if an acronym spells somthing (or even if it sort of spells something) we don't say the indivual letters.

Feel free to take the time to spell out D-I-R but I'll stick to DIR.

James

James Goddard:
Feel free to take the time to spell out D-I-R but I'll stick to DIR.

James

This is how different (how DIF?!) we all are. I was in the DIR/F with DB, and although new to DIR (maybe 2 months) I'd been reading about it for about 4 or 5 on SB.

In a million years, I never would have though to call it "dur" "dear" or anything else. To me, as I read it and as I say it, it always comes out, in my feeble mind or from my lips as DEE-EYE-ARE or DEE-EYE-ARE-EFF

I never really thought about it until JG's post - that there pretty much isn't anything else in diving's alphabet soup that I render this way, with the exception of YMCA (or some other non-words... like SSI, etc).

Too funny.

K

Mo2vation:
In a million years, I never would have though to call it "dur" "dear" or anything else. To me, as I read it and as I say it, it always comes out, in my feeble mind or from my lips as DEE-EYE-ARE or DEE-EYE-ARE-EFF

Too funny.

There are always those little exceptions. I think of them as Ach-eye-dee lights not Hid lights...point being though, I would never tell someone who said Hid that they were saying it wrong.

James

Boogie711:
I know. Amongst my circle of friends, many of whom I consider quite "DIR Friendly" we pronounce DIR-F as "derf." After all, it's spelled like Dirt, so it would be pronounced as dirt. But I have never considered it as a derogatory term.

I usually pronounce DIR-F as "fundies"...

wb416:
I usually pronounce DIR-F as "fundies"...

Fundies is sort of what we've been calling it, too.

AYCH-EYE-DEE... you got me there - I forgot about that one. :biggrin2:
Hid... that's funny. Again, in a million years, I never would have even thought to call it a Hid light.

Some others (off the top of my noggen) that I always sort of say the letters:

EAN (EE-AY-ENN)

DUI (DEE-YOU-EYE)

REI (ARE-EE-EYE)

FAQ (EFF-AY-CUE)

CO (SEE-OH) I'm reaching with this one...

EYE need AY life.

K

Do you say:

F-B-I or Fat Boy's Institute

N-C-I-S or Navy Can't Investigate ****

N-S-A or No Such Agency

I guess it is all a matter of perspective. The only folks I've met who don't spell it out are from the PNW. Of course I am sure many others will log on to prove me wrong!

Dave D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom