Attending DIR-F ... and how to say it...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was contacted once by a diver who was coming to my area and wanted to buddy up... He seemed experienced and so I welcomed him into our group. On the boat on the way out to the dive site, we discussed dive styles and all, and we began to discuss G.U.E and how it's effected the dive industry.

That's when he told me all about "durr" diving. He told me he was very experienced in it and that he wasn't taking another class from those guys. When I asked him who his instructor was, he told me that he was "some guy" who was one of the thousands of "durr" instructors. :)

I just nodded my head. I could tell by the pronounciation of "durr" that he'd never actually talked to anyone about DIR - that he'd only read about it. Fair enough, but it was painfully obvious every time he pronounced it phoenetically that he had no experience with it, and it made him look really bad to lie about it and claim that he had.

'Scuse me... My doorbell just rang... Looks like the "uuhhps" man is here with a package. I think it's some "eeksmas" presents from my buddy who works for "twah" airlines. He knows that I've been wanting this accessory for my "bwwmeeewww" "zzathree."

Of course, I've been thinking about getting a new "vwaaah"... But he said that this would work "oak" even if I had a "mirtoo" or "rixxseven."

DiverBuoy:
One thing I found interesting was how MHK made it clear that DIR is not pronounced "Der" or "Dur", I still catch myself saying that when reading posts on this forum or literature. He reminded all of us that it is an Acronym and as such each letter is mentioned D-I-R.

Just funny how sometimes our brains start habits we can't easily quit.

I think you mean it's an initialism. If it were an acronym, it would be pronounced dir.

So ... did Michael also explain how to properly pronounce S.C.U.B.A. ???

:umnik: :ne_nau: :read: :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DiverBuoy:
Yes you're right thanks for catching that...

It's a common mistake. I write technical manuals as part of my job, and I've caught co-workers making the same error. An acronym is a word formed by the first letter or letters of a set of words. SCUBA is an acronym. BC is an initialism.

Russia as in the former U.S.S.R or somewhere else in the U.S.A. ?

OK - just in self defence...

I, too, pronounce it D-I-R. But the Fundies class is Dirf. I'm sorry - maybe it's a regional accent or something. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom